Tank size

joshtih

Market
Reaction score
Anyone know what the max gallons I can safely put in my house? The room has 2x10 floor joists 16"o.c. Spanning 12 feet. I don't want to add beams or walls in my basement. I have a 156 gallon tank with about 40 gallon sump in the basement that I am going to me transferring everything from, because I want the tank upstairs, but I don't think the 156 gal will work... The new tank location will be such that the tank will set perpendicular to the floor joists.

You want the tank perpindicular to the joists. Running parallel can pose a risk of putting the majority of the wieght on one or two joists.

Ripped Tide;814989 wrote: You want the tank perpindicular to the joists. Running parallel can pose a risk of putting the majority of the wieght on one or two joists.
Perpendicular is stronger no doubt but because of the sub-floor the weight is more widely dispersed that one might think when placed parallel to the joist.

Joists are pine. Looks like #2. Tank will be up against an exterior wall. Think it will hold 200 gallons? I may have to go to 100 gallons anyways, because of space. I am dreading breaking my current tank down, but it has to be done, so I guess now is the time to just get a new system!

Me too!!! But I really want a tank in my living room, so I can enjoy it all the time, and my current tank is getting overrun with majanos... So I gotta do something. Figured I would get a smaller system for upstairs and transfer my corals and smaller fish to it. Then figure out somewhere for my big fish until I can totally re-do my current tank. Or just get rid of everything for now, and regret it in a few months...

Joshtih;814992 wrote: Joists are pine. Looks like #2. Tank will be up against an exterior wall. Think it will hold 200 gallons? I may have to go to 100 gallons anyways, because of space. I am dreading breaking my current tank down, but it has to be done, so I guess now is the time to just get a new system!
It will hold a 300 DD with no problem.

Ripped Tide;814993 wrote: <~~~ very paranoid when it comes to glass, silicone, water and wood. Hehe

And that is the best and smartest way to be if one is not experienced in the design of floor systems

grouper therapy;814996 wrote: It will hold a 300 DD with no problem.

Parallel, perpendicular, or either?

My gut tells me perpendicular yes. Parallel.... I'd be adding extra support. Why not? If nothing else it might make one feel better ;)

Does someone know aprox weight on a full 300 DD Acrylic or glass? I know we just add the amount of rock, sand, empty tank, stand, equipment, but how about the saltwater mix?
http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html">http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html</a>
never mind I have found some good links, tough I can share and help a little.

Ripped Tide;814999 wrote: Parallel, perpendicular, or either?

My gut tells me perpendicular yes. Parallel.... I'd be adding extra support. Why not? If nothing else it might make one feel better ;)
The load distribution is important when figuring capacity of a floor system.
standard 210 gallon = 12 sf ,300dd gallon = 18sf so the load distribution is pretty much the same. That said other factors need to be concidered as well in different scenarios such as the additional dead and live loads. No 2 yp 2x10 with a span of 12' will hold a tremendous amount of weight. So far as feeling better I guess one could put in a 20" 1/2" web Ibeam and feel really good except for the feeling in the wallet. I'm no expert by any means. My comments are based on 30+ years in the building industry and what I have experienced in that time. If one wants to truly cover all the bases and feel "better"a structual engineer should be consulted:tongue::).
But you are correct Dylan precautions are always smart!!:thumbs:

30+ years is a pretty darn good time to have gathered some good experience. If you say no need to worry, then I won't worry!

I have a 150 gallon that is going up against an exterior wall, but the joists are running parallel.

I had a structural engineer come in and write me up a plan to reinforce the joists with LVL beams bolted to the joists.

$300 for the engineering, $200 for the LVL's, and a few weekends of major DIY work...

But with perpendicular joists you shouldn't have to worry.

The whole reason I am doing all of this is because of a majano outbreak in my tank. Once I get all of my coral and fish out of the current tank, what is the best way to get rid of the majanos? I am just going to get rid of the sand. Can I let the rock just air dry for a few weeks? Bleach everything? I will probably just sell my current tank, but I would like to use some of my larger rocks in my next tank. Also, what's the best way to ensure the tank is totally rid of them? Bleach it too?

Back