Tank temp

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I am completely stumped. Over the past few weeks my tank has been running close to 80 degrees. I changed out the heater but that’s not the issue, in fact it only rarely kicks on. I thought it was maybe my new lights but it’s not that either. I run a fan during the day but if I run it overnight the water gets too cool too fast. With the fan I can get the temp down to 78.2-7 but have noticed that even with the lights off at 7:30pm I’d I check the temp overnight on my phone app it has gone back up to over 79. Equipment in sump main pump (not hot to touch), small pumps for UV and skimmer (don’t have a manifold plumbed), small skimmer
Nothing is unhappy livestock wise but it used to run 78.6 and now it’s always warm. We have central air and keep the thermostat at 73

current water tests
pH 7.9
dKH 8.6
Sp. Gr 1.025
pO4 .14
NO3 2.6
Hanna, handheld refractometer
any ideas?

Attachments

• C09E0EBC-EEB1-4A10-8AD1-EF447535BA93.png
    C09E0EBC-EEB1-4A10-8AD1-EF447535BA93.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 15
Many thermometers are not accurate below +/- 2%. So, at 78 deg F, that’s +/- 1.56 degrees, or a range of 3.12 degrees F. Which is what your display shows, yes?

You might also be interested to know that accuracy and repeatability are two separate parameters. Repeatability means how consistently you get the same reading over multiple attempts. Both are important.

I tried (briefly) to find specifications for either parameter from several sources, including CoralVue. Maybe you have it in your product literature? The fact that it’s difficult for me to find is somewhat telling, imo.

That said, if you aren’t satisfied with this, then check your tank thermometer/reading against a known good one. Easy way may be to bring a known good thermometer from a LFS/hobbyist and compare to theirs.

Just my $0.02

Here is a quick BRS video about the Apex calibration. It’s worthwhile watching because of the points made-

Here’s a link to CoralVue’s method for setting up your Hydros thermometer-

fwiw, using a reliable device, like a NIST traceable calibrated analytical grade thermometer, is the best way to do this.

Many thermometers are not accurate below +/- 2%. So, at 78 deg F, that’s +/- 1.56 degrees, or a range of 3.12 degrees F. Which is what your display shows, yes?

You might also be interested to know that accuracy and repeatability are two separate parameters. Repeatability means how consistently you get the same reading over multiple attempts. Both are important.

I tried (briefly) to find specifications for either parameter from several sources, including CoralVue. Maybe you have it in your product literature? The fact that it’s difficult for me to find is somewhat telling, imo.

That said, if you aren’t satisfied with this, then check your tank thermometer/reading against a known good one. Easy way may be to bring a known good thermometer from a LFS/hobbyist and compare to theirs.

Just my $0.02
Thank you. I have three different probes in the tank and they’re all within 1/10’s of each other so it really is on the warm side. Appreciate your thoughts though!!! The least reliable one is the finnex and it’s the one that controls the heater. It reads higher than the other two but doesn’t have fractions of degrees just whe numbers. I need a new controller but wasn’t happy with inkbird and there aren’t many to choose from. I don’t have an Apex

I know you don’t have an Apex. The video was for it’s informative value only.

Consistency is most important in a reef tank, imo. As long as your system temp is not out of acceptable range you should be fine.

I know you don’t have an Apex. The video was for it’s informative value only.

Consistency is most important in a reef tank, imo. As long as your system temp is not out of acceptable range you should be fine.
Thank you. I watched the videos. I mean everything is happy so I guess I shouldn’t worry I just have this terrible fear of cooking my tank. I do have 2 separate monitors and the CoralVue also sends me texts and emails so guess I shouldn’t be too concerned, just can’t figure out why it’s staying so warm. I thought my heater was going bad but I replaced it but didn’t change anything. Oh well. Thank you for taking the time to respond I appreciate it!

Back