Tank Top Question

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
What are you thoughts (Pros and Cons) of going with a mesh top vs. a clear acrylic top?

I’ve never used acrylic but it will keep more of your evaporation in the tank but I’ve heard it will also drive temps up a bit.

I’d imagine for gas exchange in relation to surface agitation, a mesh top would also be better
Well if i went acrylic top I could put holes through it to help with the gas exchange.

I feel like the main point of a full acrylic lid is to reduce evaporation. If you’re drilling holes in it that kind of defeats the purpose.

What’s your goal for going with an acrylic lid? Protection from fish jumping?

I feel like the main point of a full acrylic lid is to reduce evaporation. If you’re drilling holes in it that kind of defeats the purpose.

What’s your goal for going with an acrylic lid? Protection from fish jumping?
I dont have a particular goal in going either way. I just have access to some acrylic from work and we have a CNC machine where I can customize it.

I feel like acrylic would look nicer but I feel like it would cause heat issues in the summer unless you’re running a chiller. Also if a fish jumps it could injure itself on acrylic as opposed to mesh.

Just my 0.02¢

All great points have been said.

Personally, I’m a fan of using a canopy to keep my fish from jumping out, reduce the effects on light interference, and hide the glare from my reef lights from spilling into the room. Because of this, the tank’s glow seems even brighter because it’s not being overpowered by the LEDs.

Also drilled acrylic will create a lensing effect too. Might actually look cool, but what a pita to clean.

Make a frag tank with that spare acrylic. Or Frag Racks. Or Probe Holders. Or Float Switch/Optical Sensor Holders. Or, or, or... anything but a lid! LAMO

i need to put a top on my tank i will go with mesh i want wrasse and everything ive read says they will jump eventually

An acrylic lid will warp unless it's reinforced and that takes away from looking streamlined.

This was my main concern when I had the idea of using some scrap acyrlic I have. I had thought about using some strips to reinforce it from bowing but that would definitely take away from the streamlined look. Also if you run a brace across the center it could block more light and possibly create thin shadows.
Even the small acrylic lid(1/4"x6.5"x4") on my overflow bows and it is reinforced

I use to use glass on my freshwater tanks and they were a PITA to keep clean.

I have An acrylic top on my IM 10 gallon for past year and it warps a little but been great having it and not much salt creep and corals don’t seem effected by lesser light if that really is a thing.y corals are all growing and the kessil light still has its nice shimmer through it. Hasn’t been hard to clean and every few Weeks or so I just flip it around and Boeing is gone for a while. Lol but little evaporation loss has saved me money and I have plenty of aeration still on the back chamber that’s not covered

Back