Tank topper

sgt_slaughter

Market
Reaction score
So I was about to go down the path of putting that screening from http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/member.php?u=2255">Acroholic</a> on the top of my 125 but then a friend gave me an idea to help me battle my water top off needs.
What if I were to put a piece of Plexiglas on the top of the tank. I have a DIY HO T5 lighting system with no glass over it so i don't think it would be detracting any more from the lighting than most off the shelf lights.
Thoughts?
Is this a good idea?

You may run into problems with pH if the top won't "breathe".

plexi glass may be a SOB to keep clean. the only other thing i can think of is whether or not it will change the light spectrum. I dont know just throwing it out there for one of the more experienced reefers

It can reduce the amount of light going into the tank. It also may result in depressed pH because of poor O2 exchange, as stated earlier. It can also result in heat problems if you're not running a chiller.

Does your DIY setup have waterproof endcaps? If not, it should to prevent the connections from rusting.

Topping off is just something you have to take into account in this hobby, it happens. IMO it's simpler and easier in the long run to just set up a decent ATO and let it work like it's supposed to.

ricksconnected;503164 wrote: cant fix what isnt broke.
daves method works perfectly.

Yep, Wish I had went that route as I hate this eggcrate stuff! Seems like it takes away from my lights a little & I hate the nails on chalkboard sound it makes when you put it back in place.

lol you need dave.
speaking of dave, where in the wide world of sports has he
been hiding here lately? not like him to not be posting.

I tried a similar approach with plexiglass and as everyone has said it was a PITA to keep clean.

I'd worry about keeping it clean, and it cutting down on the light, but most of all if you place a selaed cover on your tank you will see a rise in temperature.

Plexiglass will also bow if you leave a piece exposed over water, unless you go with thick stuff, 3/8" at least.

to sum up and close.
It's not just a bad idea... it's F#$%@!& horrible.
- PITA to clean
- tank will heat up
- limits gas exchange of Co2 and others so tank gets bad quickly.

Thanks everyone. I will stick with the screening and have already begun looking at ATO's. I every had a water line run this past weekend just in case I needed it. :)

I kinda disagree... I've got a piece of glass covering my tank with the T5 HO sitting directly on it. It works well (except for a jumping incident this AM through the crack I left for te feeder). Do you have a sump? If so, you'll probably get plenty of gas exchange there. Also, you could drill or cut it in a few places for air exchange. I wouldn't use plexiglass. Just use real glass and get it cut. It's not much more $$ than acrylic anyway. I like the look of the glass much better than plastic netting on the top.

I have used up to 1/2" plexi as a wet/dry cover, within a week it started to bend. (and it was only 12 x 12 inches). I then used glass. PureReef (sponsor) has some clear plastic covers over his tanks that do not bend. They are not for sale, but maybe Jorge can direct you to the manuf/distrib. I like and use Acros screening.

Back