Tank Transfer Advice

zoajohn

Supporting
Reaction score
I am moving soon, and will finally be able to setup the Reefer 350 I have had stored for quite some time. I currently have a 30G long SPS dominant setup, and am contemplating on what I should do with the transfer. The 350 is a 73g display, and would require at least double the amount of live rock I currently have, so "cycling" another 30-40lbs of dry rock might take some additional time, unless it is negligible if I am transferring all my established rock and livestock at once. I'm fortunate to where my current landlord is a close friend and would let me keep the 30 setup in his house if need be until I'm ready. What do you guys think I should do? Add established liverock/corals with new rock and let it ride, or get some dry rock cured/cycled first then transfer over?

Add established rock with the new and let it ride. You'll still get some symptoms of "new tank syndrome" but it won't be as bad. Things will balance out but the bacteria-to-bioload ratio will be the same so the inhabitants should be fine.

In the past I have used as much old water and rock as possible, move all at once, no issues, you can also do some water changes and put your old water in the new tank.

Looks like I'll transfer everything in one go. My main concern was just with most of my corals being SPS. Doesn't take much to freeze their growth for a few weeks.

I upgraded from a 75 to a 180 earlier this year and just moved everything over, and it was fine. The only replacement thing we got was live sand, we left the old sand in the other tank and discarded it. From reading it seemed like some people had a phosphate spike when they disturbed it, so we decided not to risk it. Good luck with the move, look forward to seeing it!!

Back