Tank up and cycling!

lneesbye

Reaction score
First, a huge thanks to everyone who have been replying to my newbie threads. I finally got my new (to me) 29G Biocube up and running this weekend! I got a bunch of live, cured rock from my local aquarium shop, rinsed my friend's sand, and put it all in the tank. So, see the attached pics. I would welcome any feedback/thoughts on the look of the tank. I actually got lucky (I hope) because some of the rock had some corals already growing. Some are clearly not going to make the move, but about half look good and open when the light is on.

Last, my next series of questions. I'm still trying to stick to some level of budget, but I'm considering buying one of the following for the tank: 1) UV sterilizer, refugium light, or a heater (temp varies by about 3 degrees when light is off). The tank is in the low 70s this morning. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Lene
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
568945=26757-tank1 (4).jpg
>
568945=26757-tank1 (4).jpg
class="gc-images" title="tank1 (4).jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
568945=26758-tank2 (4).jpg
>
568945=26758-tank2 (4).jpg
class="gc-images" title="tank2 (4).jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

yeah temp swings are no good get a small heater or adjust ambient temps to maintain. I like mine about 78 degrees but in the summer it gets up to 79.5. Swings down to the low 70s can get dangerous. Looks good though i like the look

uv would be the most expensive and the least neccesary, heater would be next i think thats what you should get now, and the fuge light would be the cheapest. Check out some build threads to get some ideas on the fuge light. I've seen all kinds some people get the outside ufo looking light fixture that usually houses heat lamps and stick a bulb in it. Its cool too cause it has a clamp mount. But def get a heater before you get any livestock

FWI get a quality heater spend the extra money, they can stick and boil everything. I use aqueon heaters but the most liked are the jager I think. People hate the stealths

Well, I got the heater (I'm wishing I saw the recommendations before heading to the store), but the tank isn't getting much warmer :sad: It has been hovering around 74 degrees despite the fact that the heater is set at 78. I'm going to try to unplug and see if that re-sets it. I have it positioned right before the intake for the protein skimmer. If I don't figure it out, I may move it over to my freshwater tank and try another brand.

lneesbye;569614 wrote: Well, I got the heater (I'm wishing I saw the recommendations before heading to the store), but the tank isn't getting much warmer :sad: It has been hovering around 74 degrees despite the fact that the heater is set at 78. I'm going to try to unplug and see if that re-sets it. I have it positioned right before the intake for the protein skimmer. If I don't figure it out, I may move it over to my freshwater tank and try another brand.

What size heater is it - how many watts? the smaller the wattage the longer it will take - also make sure you have a good accurate thermometer.

The heater is 100 watts, but it has been plugged in for 24 hrs now and it keeps switching off - like it thinks that it has reached its target temp. But the heater is set for 78. Thermometer reads 74. I'm going to see if I have another thermometer around to see if that is the problem.... I tried the unplug/replug idea and it doesn't seem to be helping....

The heater should have a calibration setting right? If not just set the temp at 82 and see if that makes it 78. Our group uses the Jager as mentioned above and they work awesome...

Back