Tank update!!

oceandeep85

Market
Reaction score
Hello, friends! Since joining the ARC, I've made a lot of great friends, met a lot of really cool people and really am thankful for such a cool club in the Atlanta area. ...AND, I've gotten a LOT of help. I could go on with special shoutouts but, I digress. I'm sure I've annoyed and offended some with my 100 posts about various issues, etc. but overall, I wanted to say thank you.

So, to those who are interested and those who have been following me on my nano adventure, I wanted to give an update!

My Tank is now experiencing it's first legit diatom bloom. Brownish algae-like material covering almost everything as you can see in the pictures. It appeared nearly overnight. If I understand correctly, it will more than likely disappear as quickly and mysteriously as it appeared.

Also- I know for you veterans, you're probably laughing at me.. but I'm so excited. SO excited. Some of you may recall that I've had a heck of a time with serious ammonia spikes, never ending nitrite and what I THOUGHT might have even been finrot on my damsel. I NUKED my liverock, rearranged my rockwork about 50 times, had a livestock loss.. you name it.. I did it.

now.... STABLE parameters! Well, as stable as can be expected. Battling some higher Nitrates than I'd like at the moment, but that's much much much better than high ammonia and high nitrite. No noticeable pests to speak of either.

what I'm really excited about!? small and ever-growing purplish pink spots.. could this be? do my eyes deceive me? CORALLINE ALGAE!!!!?? WOO HOO!!! Can't wait for it to explode and take over! haha. I'm sure it's a pure nuisance to most of the old timers here, but I'm so excited I could yell!

JDavid was also kind enough to provide me on a long-term lease, a coralife 24" dual t5 setup with a true actinic and a 10000k daylight bulb. He even fragged a frogspawn (personal favorite of mine), a duncan and a superman rhodactis. The mushroom seems to be a bit pissed off at me and I'm a little worried about him since a high nitrate spike recently, but I've done a 20% waterchange and it seems to slowly be opening back up again. I hear these guys are pretty hardy so, I'm leaving him alone.

The Frog and the duncan seem to be doing great as well. The duncan is slowly coloring up and extending a little more each day and the frogspawn never ceases to impress and amaze me. By far one of my most favorite corals and I look forward to it's rapid growth.

Damsel is still alive and well and I'm very happy with that.

Thanks for stopping by! If you have any placement suggestions or comments, concerns, anything like that.. give me a shout on the thread or PM! Hopefully this time next month I'll have another interesting coral and two tiny clowns to show off!

Thanks everyone so much for all of your incredible wisdom and guidance and for sticking with me. :up:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Diatom bloom means you are *almost* ready for livestock :)

I see you're already past that though - be careful and don't do too much too fast or you'll be going backwards fast.

The Euphyllia won't like being in the sand too much, might want to rethink its placement.

How high are your nitrates?

Jenn

nitrates spiked to above 20, but now I have a feeling the diatoms and other algaes, along with my water change is why they are back down to &lt;10ppm and holding.

In the process of looking for a good HOB skimmer to help since I'm short on time (Job, Law School, GF and Dog, Sleep somewhere in there..) and can't devote hours a day to testing and water changing constantly. Friday nights and Saturdays are my only free days, so I'm hoping a skimmer and better filtration will lessen the need for such frequent water changes.

The only livestock in the tank are the one damsel, two small blue leg hermits, a turbo snail, frogspawn frag, duncan frag and one rhodactis frag.

Update: less diatoms, more coralline today!

Ultimately, water quality determines the water change schedule but a good place to start is 10% per week OR 20% every other week. The former changes more net water over time, and keeps water parameters more consistent.

Jenn

Back