Tank upgrade question

jason7274

Market
Reaction score
I’m going to upgrade my tank in the next few months and am interested in a tank large enough for a yellow tang. I’d prefer to stay in the 60-90 gallon range. Is this to small for a tank? Is there a tank height requirement. Is 16” high too short?

Last edited:
I’m going to upgrade my tank in the next few months and am interested in a tank large enough for a yellow tank. I’d prefer to stay in the 60-90 gallon range. Is this to small for a tank? Is there a tank height requirement. Is 16” high too short?
The length of the tank matters more with tangs. They like to swim from each end to the other, darting back and forth. So the longer the better. My tangs don’t really utilize the height if my tank. Usually near the bottom or among the rocks picking at it.

Good to know, I’m looking at 4ft for the length. There is an 80 tank at ATlanta Aquarium I like, but I saw Aqueon has a 60gallon breeder now. Both are 4ft, but around 16-18” high.

4ft min for a tang, beyond that the height is a personal preference.

Personally I dont like tanks that are taller than they are deep( front to back) For that reason I would go with a 75g (48x18x18) If I were to go larger than that I would go right to a 120g (48x24x24). Lighting and equipment for both will be roughly the same, but you get more space for rock work and swimming room and the only downside is slightly larger water changes.

Thanks, I'm a little concerned about the weight of the 120 plus sump on our floor though. Unless I put the tank in the basement, I'd be concerned the tank would crash through the floor on our main level. lol

Check the orientation of the floor joists. If the wall you want to put it next to has the joists perpendicular to the wall you will be fine. If the joists are parallel to the wall Id keep it under 75g.

(a 75g setup would be around 600 lbs fully loaded, large furniture can hit that weight. and its spread over 6 sqft, so its basically the equivalent of 4 guys standing next to each other. not to big a deal)

Check the orientation of the floor joists. If the wall you want to put it next to has the joists perpendicular to the wall you will be fine. If the joists are parallel to the wall Id keep it under 75g.

(a 75g setup would be around 600 lbs fully loaded, large furniture can hit that weight. and its spread over 6 sqft, so its basically the equivalent of 4 guys standing next to each other. not to big a deal)
For what it is worth, weight may be equal but static and dynamic load bearing design standards differ. In any case though you are correct most any modern good condition home will handle a 75g.

I'd go with a 75 or 90. 55s are ant farms. Terrible to aquascape. Bigger is always better though, if you got the floor space and budget do a 180. The tang will use it all either way.

Thanks! Petco has the 75g for half price right now, so that’s a plus. My wife has a 55g freshwater, but it is way to narrow for me. Is their concern drilling them? Are HOB overflows any good? My son is headed to college in the Fall, so I guess I could take over the basement with a 180. lol

Generally speaking normal Aquaeon tanks have tempered glass so you cannot drill the bottom. Sides are able to be drilled. That said they do reserve the right to use whatever glass they have on hand and it's possible to have one with tempered glass on the sides, but unlikely.

Take in a pair of polarized glasses, you can see if the glass is tempered, that way you don't take a chance. You will see spots or lines in the glass so hold it up to the sun (they will let you take it outside in a cart), confirm you don't see spots/lines in the glass on the back/sides then you can drill it. Save yourself time and headache trying to drill without knowing first or you will pop that new tank.

Back