Tank was on back burner for too long

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
decided to bring my tank back to live as far as coral goes
My cal and Alk are way off, too much lime water I quess (cal is 230 & Alk is 15.9 dkh)
What’s the best move to bring things back in check
I am using Turbo cal now but no luck maybe I am not dosing enough per day
I was thinking large water changes ,what you guys think

Several large water changes over the course of a few weeks would be the way I'd do it......

No, on second thought, I ME ME I, would change out all the water in the tank in one night, and immediately test for results....... But that would be dumb, so go with the first answer

Barbara;298057 wrote: Let me offer a slightly different perspective. When my tank params were way off, I did about a 30-35% water change and all my corals were pissed. I even lost a few small frags. I made too much adjustment too fast. My suggestion would be to make slow changes. I agree with the water changes, but I'd start with a 20% water change, and then wait 2 days, then do 10-15% every other day for a few weeks. Your calcium/alk balance is way off. Be careful or you'll kill what's left in there.

Definatly...Just go slow, you could add some buffer between days too to get that calcium up to standards.

I agree with barb, small water changes over a long period. I had done the same and did too much at one time and my corals were not happy, though, luckily, i didn't lose anything.

Where in Conyers are you located? Its good to know there are some more reefers on this side!

Back