TDS in publix water machine?

markl

Market
Reaction score
Anyone ever tested water in glacier water machines at publix? Im fighting this bad problem and wondering if water may be part of it.

It could be, but every time I tested it, it was 10 or below. I used it for 2 years without issues.

I would say it would be different from store to store. Really depends on when the filters were changed. I know they usually have a sign off sheet for the service but my Kroger never says what was done. Did they just open the door and say "yep its still working" LOL

My son had a horrible experience with Krogers' in Kentucky. Used them for years, had problems and discovered they were not delivering R/O water or anything close. Finally bought a filter. I've done the same. Just had the fact that half or more of my water being filtered goes down the drain.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'">I hate to see how much water is wasted with the RO systems. </span></span>

Isn't it something like 3 gallons wasted for every good gallon you get? Let's see...

12 gallon per week for water changes for both tanks.
7 gallons per week for top offs or so.

19 per week x 4 weeks = 76 gallons. That would mean 228 gallons down the drain. :eek: Or 2964 gallons wasted for the year! :eek::eek:

Isn't the waste water still clean and safe for consumption? If so, you should save it and use it for drinking water.

McLovin;263874 wrote: Isn't the waste water still clean and safe for consumption? If so, you should save it and use it for drinking water.
It is safe to drink and It is very difficul to drink 78 Gl a week. There should be a way to pumb that water back to the RO system and decrease the waste.

The filter guys say they can do that on one of their systems. I have never heard anyone in ARC talk about if its valid or not. They have some research numbers on the amount of water saved by pumping it back through the membrane on their web site. Appears to work. Anyone know for sure? What is your experience? They are about the only ones speaking of that capability that I know of.

Well I would think that a filter will only hold a given amount of contaminents, so it shouldn't matter if you recycle water, you will simply use your filter faster as the contaminents build up and you have worse and worse waste water every time. Would the cost of saving a few gallons offset the cost of new filters more often?

I actually started recycling my waste water today. My waste water goes into a 55 gallon bucket, which then gets pumped back through my RODI. The only drawback is you have to have a big pump to get enough pressure to run through the filter again. It seems to be working great.

The Publix gallon jugs of Purified water always test out at 0 TDS, I think at most I saw a TDS of 1 once.

I have my ro/di in the laundry room with the waste going into the washing machine. Throw in cloths, make water until it's full, let it run the full cycle, repeat. With 2 kids, there's never a shortage of laundry to be done and the 'waste' isn't waste because we'd have used the same amount anyway.

I am building a decent-sized pond in my back yard as time/$$ allow-and I'm gonna eventually have my wastewater drained into a 'holding' tank-buried in the back yard. The drain also is used by my ice machine as the old ice melts, it will also drain into the tank. THen I will have an auto-float type device in the pond and it will pump the 'wastewater' into the pond until either the tank runs dry (it will be ran by a sump type pump, whenit has water and the float at the pond gives it power, then it pumps until dry, then shuts off). I will also have a waste type drain where I can either pump it into the pool or just into the yard (wasted) during rainy seasons of extra waste water. I figure I can serve a couple of purposes with this waste water and also save afew gallons in the meantime. it sounds kinda extravagent and difficult, but I can do it for next to nothing and I have the experience to do it--time is my only enemy on that project-lol

jayguerreso;265194 wrote: Just add salt? Is it cheaper to get from Publix than LFS?
not really cheaper, but when I used it it was because they were open when my lfs was not, or I was to lazy to make the 20 min drive when there's a publix right down the road

Back