TDS meter questions

spike

Sponsor
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy one. Wanting to get valuable info first. Like were would be the best place to buy? I have been looking at ebay. Any brand better than another? Calibration solution, do you need ,if so how much should I get? I read on one ad that it was delivered calibrated. But read another it sounded like it had to be dipped in calibration solution each time used.

I dont think many TDS meters are calibratable. You can buy them anywhere, byut why not from our sponsors?!:thumbs:

Ebay is the cheapest place for sure and the inexpensive one I bought there worked like a champ until I submersed it in a bucket on accident.

The TDS meter is most assuredly can be and must be calibrated.

Some will come with a sticker saying something like "Calibrated with pride by worker 400 in Peoples TDS Meter Factory 200" but don't trust the sticker.

Go to Cap bay buy a pouch of 7 and a pouch of 10 calibration fluid. Calibrate per instruction and discard the fluid. Keep some on hand as well.

Call me an idiot if I am, but isn't that how you calibrate a pH meter, not a TDS meter? I would think a TDS meter should be calibrated using a specific ppm solution.

PH, TDS... JK

If you want the best TDS meter. It's a 100 COM, cost about $50. But the $20 ones work fine. My cheep Hanna insturment TDS meter can be callabrated.

Oh you might be right about the 7 and 10.

I had them mixed up. Mine TDS meter came with a bag of calibration fluid and a small screw driver. It was my PH pen that I needed the 7/10 for.

Good catch.

jmaneyapanda;96474 wrote: I dont think many TDS meters are calibratable. You can buy them anywhere, byut why not from our sponsors?!:thumbs:

Thanks everyone for your input. I spend a lot of money with our sponsors. Not a huge online buyer. But on this one I might have to go with e-bay. Cheapest by far.

After carrying a number of brands of TDS meters we selected HM Digital products. We selected their handheld TDS 3 (less expensive), and their higher quality COM 100, and the DM1 and DM2 inline tds meters.

Most tds meters come precalibrated, but as suggested above, its always a good idea to calibrate it when new so you know you're starting off on the right foot.

Some meters require a calibration fluid with a specific amount of tds. On other meters you can dial it in to whatever tds is in the calibration fluid. Check the instructions or ask before you buy. Some of the Hanna meters we used to carry required 800 ppm or 1382 ppm fluid, so although we don't carry the Hanna meters anymore we still have the fluid. The HM Digital meters can be dialed in, and we have 342 ppm fluid for that.

Also - if it's accuracy you want, top of the line is the COM100, followed by the TDS 3. Some folks like the inline meters for the convenience.

Russ @ BFS

Hey Russ,
Those meters calibration solution are very high. It would seem to me that they may loose a lot of accuracy when measuring in very low TDS areas 1,2,3,.. do you find that to be ture with the meters you've looked at? Do you find deferences in readings from meter to meter when measuring in these low ranges?

Some, yes. Because you should be measuring TDS in 3 locations (tap, RO, DI), and because tap water around the country varies from ~50 to over 1000 ppm, the 342 fluid is a pretty good compromise.

The COM100 is very accurate when you get down around 0 or 1 ppm.

Russ

If you get a chance, would still like to see the Flush Ratio index. with our 50 tds average i like to see the recommended flush ratio for our low TDS water.

Looks like that COM 100 is my next puchase. The DM 3 looks good also.
showproducts.asp

Back