TDS Reading 47!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
OK,I borrowed a TDS tester from a sponsor store and my reading was 47 from the RO unit!
I am going to get a new filter tommorrow and Mod the Ro unit I already have.(Adding another membrane)
My question is,will this affect my tank long term?
I am having good coral growth and haven't really lost any fish lately (if you don't count the jumpers),so it doesn't seem to be bothering anything at this time.
What do you think?

algae growth/stunted coral growth is what you'll see (if using more than 0 TDS reading water). As far as the fish go-they could be fine using tap water-just you wouldn't be able to see them for all the algae-lol;

You're adding nutrients/phosphates into your tank which will increase you algae growth. It's possible that you're allowing some toxins in, but not likely.

When my numbers started creeping up, I just needed to change my prefilters and DI resin (lasted 2+ years). I'd reccomend changing them every year. I'd change the RO filter when your production decreases (ie. from 100 gpd to 75gpd).

HAHA,I do have some algae on the overflow's,but with 5 tangs,and a flame angel,they keep it in check pretty good.
So even though I have some good coral growth now,it will increase when I get better water?
How long should it take to turn it around?
Thanks
ericmcj31;263145 wrote: algae growth/stunted coral growth is what you'll see (if using more than 0 TDS reading water). As far as the fish go-they could be fine using tap water-just you wouldn't be able to see them for all the algae-lol;

Raj,tommorrow I am adding another DI chamber to my 50GPD so I can make 100 GPD,so it will be all new filters and more RO production!
I hope this works!
Skriz;263146 wrote: You're adding nutrients/phosphates into your tank which will increase you algae growth. It's possible that you're allowing some toxins in, but not likely.

When my numbers started creeping up, I just needed to change my prefilters and DI resin (lasted 2+ years). I'd reccomend changing them every year. I'd change the RO filter when your production decreases (ie. from 100 gpd to 75gpd).

what I see when my filter need changing is more cyano growing-(red carpet type algae)

Are you running carbon or ferric oxide?? If not probably would not hurt to help take some of the phosphates and impurity levels back down. Probably are not that high but better safe than algae(sorry)

jason sartain;263148 wrote: Raj,tommorrow I am adding another DI chamber to my 50GPD so I can make 100 GPD,so it will be all new filters and more RO production!
I hope this works!

Adding another DI chamber won't increase production. Did you mean you're adding another RO Chamber? Doing the later won't double your output, but it should decrease your waste water.

sounds like you need to change your filters in conjunction with adding another last filter-

Talk about a timely thread. I was about to post a similar story. The wifey bought me a TDS/pH meter for Christmas. I checked my RO/DI water and I'm sitting at 23 ppm. And I have a nasty cynobacteria problem which I'm guessing the real cause is the water.

I'm hoping I don't need to change out the membrane as that thing is expensive!! Now the question is where can I get the others locally....

This may seem obvious, but make sure you test the tds in a clean cup (I use a sandwhich bag). If you test it in a bucket, the salt residue will give you a false result...

That thought did occur to me too. I used a plastic disposable cup to test the water.

Make sure any containers you are using to measure with are very clean. Also, rinse the container several times with the test sample water. Just a little contaminants in the storage vessel can cause TDS readings to be way high.

Also, what is the TDS of your tap water?

oil fan:: if your tap water is reading 50ppm then just RO output should be somewhere around < 10 - 20ppm on average. If it's RO/DI you should be reading anywhere from 0 - 5 ppm on average.

Your membrane had an issue at the seal, allowing all water to escape around the actual membrane and not filtering at all. You should be all good now.

Yep,thanks Chris.
I'm making water right now!
Fish Scales2;263432 wrote: Your membrane had an issue at the seal, allowing all water to escape around the actual membrane and not filtering at all. You should be all good now.

And thanks Warloc...I replaced the all the filters except $90 one. I ran it the RO unit for 30 minutes and tested. Reading was 47 (I know...weird coincidence) but remembered the post from Fish Scales. Reseated the first stage. Repeated the 30 minute test and retested.

TDS now = 1 :thumbs:

Now to make some SW and do some water changes.

Back