Tell me about mangroves

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Another thread reminded me about my mangrove questions:

They grow slow right? So are they really any good at nutrient removal? Any other benefits?

What kind of light do they like and need? Just regular of fuge style lighting (i currently use a 100w 6500k PC bulb.

i have 2 and they do grow slow. no real nutrient value, but helps to get rid of nitrates. the 100w might be a little to much for em, but you can put them off to the side of the light and will grow fine. if you see the leaves start to brown on the tips, your most likely giving to much light or heat(same thing more or less).

It is surprising to hear aquarists debate the efficacy of mangroves in the marine aquarium as vehicles for nutrient export when you can weigh their functional abilities clearly against their growth, which is dreadfully slow. In fact, their naturally sluggish growth is recognized by numerous governments on native coastlines where legislation controls or forbids pruning. At large, even occasional storm damage can be devastating. En masse, </em>in wild habitats, they are outstanding vehicles for nutrient export- fixing nutrients in their enormous and collective biomass. In the aquarium however, you do not have a forest of 20 or 30 feet tall mangroves... you don't even have one that big! The scrappy little seedlings that you do have, instead, demonstrate leaf growth concurrent with leaf drop at times. The proof is in the pudding, as they say: they are weak nutrient export mechanisms in the aquarium because they do not produce stable or harvestable mass quickly. If you are looking for a vegetable filter, there is a long list of algae (and even plants like some sea grasses) that can provide greater harvestable mass for nutrient export.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mangrovetrees.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/mangrovetrees.htm</a>
[/B]

Barbara;228251 wrote: But you can't come up with a negative to outweigh the "coolness" factor! They are really pretty, and if you can get them to grow straight, some folks put them in the back of the aquarium growing out of the top, or if you have a nice planted 'fuge, they really make a nice backdrop. I consider them part of my tank like my corals and fish. Pretty to look at, adding diversity to the tank. I like mine.

You would!!

I dont know what that means, I just wanted to take a jab at you, Barbara! See you at the meeting.

unless you are Barbara that likes the visual, they are worthless.

Well, THen I may get some anyways. But I was wondering. I am thinking about doing a planted display fuge.

Any suggestions on macros and such that are beneficial and/or pleasant to look at?

they do look cool. You can drop by tim at Keens reef, he has an assortment of stuff that would look great!

Yeah, I saw some of it. Good variety.

Can bamboo grow in SW? My aunt grows it out of her FW aquarium...?

I've got about 30 of em in my fuge and attribute the cleanliness of my tank to them to some degree. In my opinion they grow quickly.

Most people just have small seedlings and these guys grow very slowly. Why? Because they are putting all their energy into establishing their root system. Heck most people don't even give them any sand for their roots... My fuge is literally packed with tiny lil roots and the sand is sparkling clean.

This is how plants grow... which makes them different from macros that have no root systems. Once a plant has its root system in place it grows like mad, but you need that solid foundation first. Each of these guys will shoot out a bunch of new leaf or so daily and continue to grow their roots like mad as well.

Also Calfo says that you have to spray them with water constantly. That's bogus, I've gone a year now since spritzing them at all and they're doing just fine.

Jin, sounds reasonable. Did you purchase yours with an estabvlished root system or just let them come into it on their own? Also, what type of light do you give them?

Do you use other macros in conjunction? What are they?

I got mine as seedlings from ebay.

The lighting is a t5 retro.

I've got cheato and caulerpa racemosa as macros as well. The cheato is nearly gone though as it is being outcompeted for light by the mangroves and caulerpa.

FutureInterest;228489 wrote: I got mine as seedlings from ebay.

The lighting is a t5 retro.

I've got cheato and caulerpa racemosa as macros as well. The cheato is nearly gone though as it is being outcompeted for light by the mangroves and caulerpa.

Bout how many watts? HO/VHO? Just curious if these are light hogs.

It's a 48 inch retro with 2 bulbs, tek I reflectors, advance ballast, and 1 year + used bulbs from my display. So I don't think they need a lot of light.

I snip them when they get too tall. Although my new config will allow them to grow out quite a bit more.

Letting stuff decay in your water is never a good thing. :)

I don't see a lot of leaves shedding but if I see one floating around I'll remove it. 4 feet of space is a lot of height. That's one helluva stand.

Well I got a whole bunch of heathly mangroves if anyone wants to buy. 5 bucks each. You can see a pic of them here.

live-rock.jpg
alt="" />

The same kind of lamp you use to grow cheato would be just fine. The more light you can give it though the better.

I know if you crack the leaf and drip the contents on your skin and rub, it'll heal cuts, dry skin and.........oh wait...that's aloe, never mind....I got nothing.

Back