Tell me about your filter socks

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm debating on what path I should choose on running filter socks. If like to hear everyone's experience with them, or without them. What type do you use, mesh or felt? What size micron do you use? And, what is your schedule for cleaning your socks? Also, where do you buy your filter socks?
Thanks

I use felt filter socks rated from 25 microns to 200 microns. I change them as needed aprox 2 to 4 days. I bought mine from McMaster-Carr.

To keep them clean I wash them in a well rinsed washing machine, turn them inside out and wash them with a cup of bleach. Then rise them with prime and set them outside to air dry for 24hrs. I have a dozen or so that keeps me going for about a month or so.

Bcavalli;1063339 wrote: I use felt filter socks rated from 25 microns to 200 microns. I change them as needed aprox 2 to 4 days. I bought mine from McMaster-Carr.

To keep them clean I wash them in a well rinsed washing machine, turn them inside out and wash them with a cup of bleach. Then rise them with prime and set them outside to air dry for 24hrs. I have a dozen or so that keeps me going for about a month or so.

Do you have a specific schedule switching between the different microns?

LSU_fishFan;1063340 wrote: Do you have a specific schedule switching between the different microns?

I lost track of which ones are which a long time ago. Lol. It doesn't really matter in the long run since I over feed my tanks and the excess is caught up in the socks.

I use 4" mesh filter socks and purchase them from http://www.filterbag.com">www.filterbag.com</a>. I've found them to be the cheapest. Having said that, you sometimes end up with a bag that is flawed in some way. I have 100 to 200 micron bags. I do have a couple of 100 micron felt bags but I only use them when I want to "polish" the water as they clog very quickly...generally within 2-3 days.

As for maintenance of the bags, I wash with a neutral, biodegradable detergent (Method), double rinse and then sun dry. I've had some of the same bags for over a year now.

When I did use them, I used mesh, as they are much easier to clean and maintain. However, I found that having all your water go through detritus and food actually raised my nitrates slightly. Now, I just let the water flow in the first compartment of my sump which is empty, it's settles on the floor, and I wetvac it up every water change in minutes.

Ralph ATL;1063429 wrote: When I did use them, I used mesh, as they are much easier to clean and maintain. However, I found that having all your water go through detritus and food actually raised my nitrates slightly. Now, I just let the water flow in the first compartment of my sump which is empty, it's settles on the floor, and I wetvac it up every water change in minutes.

How often did you switch them out?

Ralph ATL;1063429 wrote: When I did use them, I used mesh, as they are much easier to clean and maintain. However, I found that having all your water go through detritus and food actually raised my nitrates slightly. Now, I just let the water flow in the first compartment of my sump which is empty, it's settles on the floor, and I wetvac it up every water change in minutes.

I have the same issue. Nitrates have crept up to about 10 so I'm thinking about removing my socks as well then just siphoning off the gunk every couple of weeks.

If you had another option, I could vote correctly. I use both 24/7.

I use 2 Large 4 X 6 X 12 felt socks + 2 mesh.

I've got a mesh sock inside of a large felt sock, the mesh catches all the big stuff. I clean the mesh (takes 2 minutes) every few days and change the felt usually 2 times a week and after a water change.
The felt don't get that bad, I've left them all week many times with no problems.

Dirty socks are kept in the garage in a 7 gallon Salinity bucket until it's full (about 6 weeks).

Wash in washing machine with bleach on delicate, hot water, extra rinse cycle.
Wash again with hot water, extra rinse no chemicals. Air dry.

Sump still gets pretty dirty. It gets cleaned out about every 3 to 4 months when skimmer starts acting up from being dirty.

I use the 4 in felt 200 micron filter socks that I bought from eBay. The polish the water greatly and usually start clogging around day 3-4. I let them ride out and change them out as part of my weekly maintainence.

I turn them inside out and rinse the big stuff out then once they all get dirty I machine was them in hot water with bleach. Let them air dry for 24 hours and they are good to go.

when i get my 40 going ill be using 200 micron 4" mesh socks that i got from brs. i used them on my 20 long with pretty good results. i would change it out every 2-4 days depending on how dirty they got and will do the same on the 40. one to note like others have said is that it can cause your nitrates to stay a little higher than normal. there were times when i got lazy and didnt change my socks for a week and id wake up one morning to a thick dusting of algae on the glass and that was my red flag to change the socks immediately.

Back