Temp = 71.2.

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
Just sharing... The other day I left all the windows open in the frag tank room and near the display tank which are on different floors but plumbed together. Of course that was the night we had a lil winter snap and I even had ice on my carpet in the basement in the morning!

So anyways the tank got down to 71.2 even with 450 watts of heaters fighting the freezing temperature :eek:. So far so good... I know in winter time the temperature around a reef in the wild can get pretty low but this seems excessive. So the moral of the story is to check the weather reports before leaving your windows open all night :).

Wow man, glad to hear things are ok. Fortunately it most likely happened at a slow rate so it's not too too bad.

Wow, I hope you don't suffer any losses. Only 450Watts for a tank your size seems kinda low.

Are you running some sorta crazy heater I never heard of?

I run 550W in my 90 with 30 sump, and they are on most of the day

FutureInterest;319087 wrote: Just sharing... The other day I left all the windows open in the frag tank room and near the display tank which are on different floors but plumbed together. Of course that was the night we had a lil winter snap and I even had ice on my carpet in the basement in the morning!

So anyways the tank got down to 71.2 even with 450 watts of heaters fighting the freezing temperature :eek:. So far so good... I know in winter time the temperature around a reef in the wild can get pretty low but this seems excessive. So the moral of the story is to check the weather reports before leaving your windows open all night :).
I got an extra 150 gallons of nice warm water for any corals that needs warming!

Jin,

I have a suggestion on how you can beat the cold if this situation ever arises again.

What you need to do is take the cold and kill it! kill it with fire!

Problem solved.

Dang my 25W heater does the job at my place!

All this "killing things with fire!" we need to be careful or this place will turn into 4chan! And nobody wants that to happen!! :tongue:

WOW Jin.... That happend to me a few months back..except mine was down to 65 and I lost all my sps... Got very lucky my friend!

I've never had an issue with temperatures since I started keeping corals. Before I did that though, back in January 08, the temps dropped outside down into the 20's as I recall. The temps in the tank dropped over night into the low 70's as I only had one heater at that time. I lost all but one of my green chromis (had 6 at the time). They were the only fish I had in there at that time.

Funny thing he is the lone survivor and the longest I've had a fish in that tank. He has survived every dumb, errr...I mean learning experience I have put that tank through. I ended up calling him Rocky.

I don't think you wrasses will make it... so I advise I keep them and your corals just to be sure :D

glad everything is ok so far.

Back