Tempered glass

thomas138

Market
Reaction score
Anyone know any local places that can get tempered glass cut?

Its just a small piece for the lens on a viper k2 mh

-Thomas

Tempered glass cannot be cut. It shatters into thousands of pieces. If it must be tempered, better special order the correct size.

Chymos45;466152 wrote: If it must be tempered, better special order the correct size.

Thats what Im looking for..somewhere that can get the exact size I need. I wanting somewhere I can get this done local to make sure it will be the right size the first time

Why would it have to be tempered? I dont think most MH glass covers are tempered, but could be wrong..

Cjsparky;466165 wrote: Does it have to be tempered?

CJ

Dakota9;466167 wrote: Why would it have to be tempered? I dont think most MH glass covers are tempered, but could be wrong..

The spot where the glass can be placed only really allows for some pretty thin glass, I bought the light used and the glass lens was missing and I have been told countless times that it MUST be tempered because of the heat(the bulb is only abou 1/2" from the lens) and I dont wanna find out the hard way. Trust me I realllly want to just cut the piece myself and get the thing on my tank, just wanna get it done the right way

You may have decent luck just trying a WTB thread. I'm sure somebody has one of those vipers lying around that no longer works, and would be glad to set you up with a replacement lens.

Worth a try :D

Chymos45;466176 wrote: You may have decent luck just trying a WTB thread. I'm sure somebody has one of those vipers lying around that no longer works, and would be glad to set you up with a replacement lens.

You can get the glass at binswanger glass. It has to be cut first then tempered. It usually a week turnaround for tempered. They should have a location not far from you

johnr2604;466196 wrote: You can get the glass at binswanger glass. It has to be cut first then tempered. It usually a week turnaround for tempered. They should have a location not far from you

Awesome I will try to find one near and give them a try if I dont find a replacement from another fixture thanks alot for the info

ares;466210 wrote: reflector glass should be tempered, the intense heat its under, if a drop of water splashes on it, it is likely to shatter otherwise.

your best option would be a replacement from viper, it should be a rather normal item to replace, they should sell it pre cut, UV protected, and tempered.

I would like to avoid water splashing and glass shattering.. :yes:

I have a wtb thread going for a replacement piece to see if anyone has one they could sell

Thanks everybody

Back