Temporary Sump / Fuge - How-To Suggestions

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I've moved everything into a 55g for a holding tank until I can set up my final tank (a 90g). I have LR and LS that would not fit into the 55g.

I'm wondering if I can set up a temporary sump and fuge to run until the 90g is set up to A) keep the sand and LR alive and B) to start growing critters in the fuge.

Pertinent info:

~ 55g is on a very low, temporary stand with no room underneath. It's in in a bay window alcove, so no room directly to the sides either. Sump/fuge would need to be on the side and slightly forward.

~ 33g (undrilled/unpartitioned) = sump

~ 20g (drilled/1 hole/top-left) = fuge

~ Coralife 65 for sump

~ Clip-on light for fuge

Any suggestions on how this could be done? It doesn't have to be pretty, since it's just a temporary situation, but can't really look like Frankenstein's lab either, since there's no telling how long it will be until the 90g is up. (My reef budget is pretty much in the same condition as Dakota's)

or for 60 you could buy my already made 30g long sump with a heavily populate middle fuge ;)

Linda, remember coming to my house and seeing that ugly vat of rock, sand and macros? I was doing just as you want to do. I was first cycling dead live rock, and then added the sand and macros as I found them. They were in there for about 2 months.

Just find an out of the way place, since theres limited space under your stand. Use one of those rubber made containers that you guys loaned me (that I've since returned). Add water then throw in any sand, rock and macros (that order) and add a powerhead and small heater. Your done! Personally, I'd do a WC every so often though.

Dakota9;86159 wrote: Linda, remember coming to my house and seeing that ugly vat of rock, sand and macros? I was doing just as you want to do. I was first cycling dead live rock, and then added the sand and macros as I found them. They were in there for about 2 months.

Just find an out of the way place, since theres limited space under your stand. Use one of those rubber made containers that you guys loaned me (that I've since returned). Add water then throw in any sand, rock and macros (that order) and add a powerhead and small heater. Your done! Personally, I'd do a WC every so often though.

Good suggestion. Will do this.

Was hoping to find a way for this to benefit the 55g ... some kind of in-and-out plumbing, but that's probably not easily done.

I'll put this up independently in another room and it may end up being in there a couple months. Did you put any light on your temp set-up?

Light would be good if you have some macro algae growing in there and it can also get the coraline algae growing on the rocks.

I went to Walmart (hate the place, but where else can I find what I need at 3am) and bought a black metal clip-on light, and a 6500K screw in Flor. Bulb. I kept that on the vat of goodies, and it will become my fuge light when I set up the fuge this coming week.

Does Loren still have LR rubble he wants to sell? I'll need some for the fuge.

Dakota9;86781 wrote: I ... bought a black metal clip-on light, and a 6500K screw in Flor. Bulb. I kept that on the vat of goodies, and it will become my fuge light when I set up the fuge this coming week.

Got one of thse already, so I'll use that.

Dakota9;86781 wrote: Does Loren still have LR rubble he wants to sell? I'll need some for the fuge.

How much do you need to fill what size container? I can bring some to the meeting.

Really, I only need a few pounds, as I'm filling about 1/4 or that moded 10 gallon fuge with a LR chamber, that will be the first chamber of the fuge, then my Phyto growing chamber, then my macro chamber, then the display area........ I think I can squeeze all that into 10"X 12" footprint.....

........ At what point did I stop being a Reefer and become a Mad Scientist?

Back