Temporary Tank Move

CoralSwim

Reaction score
So I’ve been working with contractors on a flooring project at my house and need to move my 175 gallon tank temporarily. I’m hoping to keep everything alive. I would think it’s going to be down for at least 2-3 days before I can start adding my livestock in the tank again. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a few members that have used the large rubbermaid troughs to temporarily house their livestock during a move. @Steve Burton successfully kept his livestock in a few tanks during his upgrade.

This is actually my dining room right now.
20220801_200700.jpg20220810_195438.jpg

I recommend using as big of a temporary tank as possible and keep twice as much mixed water as you think you need.

If you have a flat surface from where it is now to where it needs to go its easy.

Put any rocks/ corals that might fall on the bottom or in buckets. Drain the water down to about 2". Catch any large fish you can and put them in buckets. I usually leave the fish in there for the move. Making sure the rocks dont shift or fall is the major point here.

Get an air jack or something similar to lift one side and get it on a furniture dolly, repeat for the other side and roll the tank where it needs to go. Refill and youre done. Usually a good time to do a water change as well. When the floors are done repeat the process.

FYI if you are having unfinished hard wood put in seal off the room the tank is in. The eurothane fumes will get absorbed into the water and its not fun.

Thanks for the advice. I’m laying tiles. Will the fumes from grout or leveling compound have the same effect to the water?

Na, tile isnt a big deal. Just watch the dust from cutting tiles and dry grout. Its mostly inert but still might be worth a tarp.

Back