Test Kits or Individual Test

kirkplunkett

Market
Reaction score
Howdy ARC!

Back with more questions... I'm curious to know what test kits/individual test you all use. Ever since I started this journey 3 ½ years ago, I've been using Red Sea test kits: Marine Care, Reef Foundations and Algae Management

But the last three times I've tested my water, I'm just getting the impression that the test aren't accurate. Maybe after 3 ½ years, the test are now just old and not reading accurately. (I've may have been really bad and not tested regular enough to use them up before the chemicals in the test expired... Maybe they've lasted longer on my shelves than they are supposed to last at all?)

None the less... It's got me thinking that I want to try some other test out there. The Red Sea test, while they come with a cool box and many gadgets, seem overly complicated. Maybe there are THE BEST on the market. I wouldn't know because it's all I've ever used.

What test do you guys use? Do you have a preferred kit, or do you use specific brands for specific test?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your answers, and as usual... All opinions are welcome. Feel free to debate and bring as much to the table as you feel is necessary to explore all aspects of the topic.

If anyone else has questions they would like to add to the discussion, please feel free to do so.

I've used Salifert and Seachem in the past. My last purchases was Red Sea and I'm very happy with it.
There should be an expiration date on each kit.

Hanna meters! They also make standards kits (to check the accuracy of the meter). I will never use another test kit again. Alkalinity check takes less than 90 seconds. Calcium and phosphate is a little more detailed but much simpler than pushing drops into a vial and trying to match colors. Lol. Its hard to do when your colorblind.

Seachem tests come with a reference solution so you can calibrate the test and know if it's accurate or not.

Jenn

I like Salifert for KH and Nitrate, Elos for Calcium and Magnesium, and the Hanna Checker for ULR Phosphorus.

I use a bit of everything. Salifert for the most part though.

For a reef enthusiast

<p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold">Salinity/Specific Gravity </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">Refractometer </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">1.025
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><p style="text-align:left">Alkalinity </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">Hanna Checker </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">6 - 11 KH
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><p style="text-align:left">Ammonia </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">Salifert </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">0 mg/mL
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><p style="text-align:left">Calcium </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">SeaChem </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">380-450 mg/mL
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><span style="color: #ffffff"><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><span style="color: #ffffff"><p style="text-align:left">Reef Enthusiasts (continued)
</span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><p style="text-align:left">Magnesium
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">SeaChem </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">1200-1400 mg/mL
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><p style="text-align:left">Nitrite </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">Salifert </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">0 ppm
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><p style="text-align:left">Nitrate </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">Salifert </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">0 - 2 ppm
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold"><p style="text-align:left">pH </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">Salifert </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">7.6-8.4
</span><span style="font-family: Helvetica-Bold">Phosphate </span><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a"><span style="font-family: Helvetica"><span style="color: #00009a">Hanna Checker </span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Helvetica">0 - .03 ppm
</span>

Yeah... I've checked the black box that holds each set as well as each individual titrate. There's not an expiration date on anything.

I've heard Salifert and Elos are both great. I've heard SeaChem is quick, but not alway accurate. That seems to be the consensus hear.

I assumed the Hanna meters where expensive, but I just checked on the Phosphate checker and it's only $50. Anyone have any other advice to through in the pot?

I'm all about Hanna for Alk / Ca / Phosphates. Can't imagine anything being better than the Hanna Alk test... how could it be better? :D

Don't really test for anything else, but have some red sea and API from when I started.

Back