Test Kits

bob betzel

Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you but it seems that the only time I really get into testing is when I'm cycling a new tank. I just broke down my 12 year old set up and have started a new tank and need to know who makes the best kits for nitrites/nitrates and calcium. Once a tank has been up a few years it seems you get a feel for how things are going but I'd be interested in what everyone tests routinely. Obviously salinity is something you check when you do water changes and I keep a ph meter going full time but what about other tests? Thanks!

With regular water changes, I never test my ph at all, in fact, the only thing I test for occaionally is calcium. I took a cue from Mojo during the ToTa last june, and rarely see ther need in testing anymore

:yes: I agree with you but initially you need to be sure things are cycling, etc. and once they are stable you can do very minimal testing. What do you use for calcium testing as I have used kits in the past that just don't really work consistently.

Aquarium Pharmacuticles, which isn't very could probably, but nothing has died as a result....

Salifert Kits, they are pricey but good. Calcium, Alk, and Mag are what I test for the most.

Corigan;105479 wrote: Salifert Kits, they are pricey but good. Calcium, Alk, and Mag are what I test for the most.

Agree...Salifert kits are nice. I test Calcium, Alk, Mag & ph (ph meter)

How are the Acans doing?

Dakota9;105470 wrote: With regular water changes, I never test my ph at all, in fact, the only thing I test for occaionally is calcium. I took a cue from Mojo during the ToTa last june, and rarely see ther need in testing anymore

Just a followup on this - I do test some things - calcium and alkalinity. I don't bother with Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, or Phosphate. If I have one of the first two, it's because something major has happened, and either I've got acros already dying and a water change has already been scheduled. If I see nuiscance algae starting to grow, then I've got nitrates or phosphates present - there's no way around that one. Besides, most test kits will show 0 for nitrates or phosphates when the tank could have a forest of algae, because the algae is consuming the nitrogen as fast as it's produced. Test kits only show what is free in the system.

Also be aware that this method really isn't recommended until you've been in the hobby for a while and have a good idea of what's going on just by looking at your tank. Your corals will tell you what your params are, but you have to be able to understand what they're saying, and that just takes time...

Oh, and I use Salifert test kits...

I test Calcium, Alk, Mag & ph (ph meter) salinity
and Phosphates. Ive found that i could have phosphate slowing down growth with no visable sign in some tanks.

Skriz;105550 wrote: How are the Acans doing?

Doing great thanks. Even the exterior heads that were sliced have grown back nice. It's wide open and looking great. Thanks!

Matt

I use Salifert and test Alk, CA and Mg on a monthly basis, more frequently if I am changing anything. I have found that even when everything is looking great and thriving that these 3 may get a little out of line. For that reason, I measure and adjust these with additives (if needed) on a monthly basis. I want to keep these as close to ideal as I can get them. If they are +- 5% of ideal, I leave them alone.

I monitor pH and ORP with a meter but don't pay much attention to it...

I have used Nitrate and Phosphate tests before and found them to be useless (always read zero). I have used Iodine and Strontium tests before but don't see the need anymore.

Back