That Funky Reefer Smell...

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Okay, so you know how you walk into a house sometimes and you immediately know that they have a reef tank by the funky smell in the house? Well, I have never had a problem with it in the past, but my new system is heading that direction. I have a really funky smell coming from the stand, and I am quite sure that it is coming from my skimmer. What I am not quite sure about is how to address it. I do not know why I am having a problem now, and did not in the past. Is it because the skimmer is larger or it is producing more bubbles and in turn more air coming out of the lid of the skimmer?

Admittedly, I have not started running carbon yet, but not sure that it will make a difference in the odor of the skimmate. What is the best option for removing or keeping this odor to a minimum? Will the carbon help with this? Or, is my best option to run a skimmer neck cleaner and drain to collector in the basement or garage? Is there a better option I have not thought about?

Your reef tank should not be emitting any kind of odor into your house. The only time my tank ever had a smell was when my sulphur denitrator was out of calibration and making my tank smell like rotten eggs.

If its your tank water, use carbon.

If its your skimmate, use carbon over the air vent in the collection cup.

I'm not sure about the other brands. But, my RO skim locker has a chamber on top you fill with carbon. It seems to help keep that lingering smell at a minimum.

Seems that, as usual, I am probably over thinking it. I will run by Pure Reef and pick up some Carbon to see if it helps.

ghbrewer;1030286 wrote: Are you running ozone?
Not at the moment I don't see a need my water about as close to drinkable as saltwater gets (thats the lie I tell myself every time I get splashed in the face) I have a small ozone.maker you plum to the skimmer intake its supposed to make water clearer and help neutralize odors but its kinda a trend that just went out of style with reefers as better chemical and biological filtration has advanced in the last 7 years.
I'd probably try carbon first as well.
If you cant sort it out u can borrow the ozone maker to play with I got it used cheap because I was curious of it so its just in the closet now

If water smells your having an overabundance of die off or some bacterial imbalance. Carbon should absolutely be ran and then further diagnosis in hopes to identify likely cause.

If it's skimate like said before use a locker that contains an outlet that can incorporate carbon and it'll work wonders.

Whatever you do, don't mask it with an air freshener.

You shouldn't have a funky smell. Check for leaks that could be leading to dampness/mold.

Even with carbon, skimmate will stink. It's skimmate. You can put a carbon filled exhaust filter on your skimmer cup. Does your skimmer drain into an open container?

Jenn

Grant, I wondered if you would have problems with the fish less cycle. Is it possible that your bacteria population grew to a point that is too large to be sustained by your current stock list and is now shrinking until the point at which harmony is found?

Back