That point after you're 1st year of reefing when you're like...I NEED MORE!

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
So I started about a year-and-a-half ago with freshwater fish and felt like man... This just isn't there anymore and those saltwater fishing are just so cool. So I started a 10 gallon reef tank and I had no idea what I was doing and no friends that were into this and no resources as to how to start a saltwater tank and it just didn't work out so well so I watched a million YouTube videos trying to get a handle on things then I upgraded to a 20 gallon and then to a 55-gallon that I bought on Craigslist that was more geared toward the real thing. Now that I'm getting the hang of things I realized that it's just not enough and I did too many things wrong the first time around and feel like I need to do things right with a bigger tank starting from scratch. Thinking about selling off a lot of the SPs have bought and shutting down the 55 gallon and selling it putting it towards something that I can really enjoy. My thoughts are starting a little nano that I can put some of the softies that I have into and support and a small tank well I sell off some other things while saving for 100+ gallon waterbox or something similar setup. I just need more I'm hooked now! I know I'm rambling but I don't know anyone else that's into this. Could use some suggestions on how to get the most money out of my tank either A. Sell the whole package at once or B. Sell off frags until they're gone then sell tank/stand and keep basic equipment (pumps, skimmer, lights rock ....) As this with help with the initial setup of new tank. Anyone else go through this? Here's my thank pics what do you think it's worth? With everything? Or just tank stand and sump? 55 gallon, 10 gallon sump 1/2 inch glass bottom overflow. I know I've put aleast 2500 into this over the past year but need some brutally honest opinions what it's worth second hand

Attachments

• 15596047165181791053970.jpg
    15596047165181791053970.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 15596048350401856215293.jpg
    15596048350401856215293.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 1559604885519572872480.jpg
    1559604885519572872480.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 15596049605941675989683.jpg
    15596049605941675989683.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
Hard to get value back on used equipment. I can't speak on your particulars but, for example, I got a 120 tank, stand, canopy, return, and reef octopus skimmer for 300. I got 2 black box leds for $100. Your livestock holds value better than equipment.

IMO, I'd jeep this one and just save for the larger tank. Almost everyone i know has multiple tanks. This one would be a great quarantine and/or frag tank moving forward.

If you're willing to take a used tank, you can find some great deals in here. Someone was selling a dual overflow 120 with stand and canopy for 300 right now i think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Believe me I would love to keep this tank for quarantine or whatever. My problem is space and a girl. Already got a 46 gallon fowler in the bedroom so she can get fish that are "pretty" but not reef safe. Lol this keeps me outta the dog house when I spend more time on the tank than with her lmao! I just don't have the room for a 3rd tank as much as I want to.

It is very hard to sell a tank as a whole unless you find just the right person wanting what you have(maybe just starting out???) . Second hand equipment sells for pretty cheap and you wont get much that way. Also, corals...unless they are an "in" coral with a name, will not bring as much as you think. If you are wanting to keep any of what you have, than starting a nano to keep it somewhere while you piece out and sell the rest is a good idea. (if space is an issue) While you save and start your new tank piece by piece. But getting the value, of what you invested, for what you have, to put toward a better set up just ususally does not happen. I have a friend that has been trying for three months to sell a beautiful planted freshwater (75g) stand/hood and everything with no takers at all for what she feels it is worth. And I tried to sell my 20 long nano as a whole for a while with no takers and had to piece it out. Good luck to making decissions and setting up a new dream tank!

Back