The 25 gallon - reefer on a budget tank!

mattyams

Market
Reaction score
5c562a9d-4eba-44b3-a1ce-afe23276258c_zps8902897f.jpg
alt="" />

Well, I started to get into the hobby once I realized there wasn't much else for me to do with my Cichlid freshwater tank. I didn't want to go big since I am a baller on a budget. Baller, lol right. The adventure started off with a FOWLR tank that quickly made me want to do a nano reef. I went out and found me a 20 gallon high and a 11.4 gallon rimless that I was going to use as a fuge. I later upgraded to a 25 gallon tall I found on CL. My stand is an old media cabinet that I modified to hold two tanks. I am planning on making another here shortly. The fuge was put on hold because I got a hold of a RP3 filter system. I have plans of adding so much more to this but I have to move slow.

But enough about that, here are the pics.

Start Date
12/27/12

<<<Current FTS>>>
CurrentFTS320_zpsab318b39.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Beginning March (Tank upgrade)>>>
MedFeb_zpsf8d24968.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Late Feburary>>>
LateJanFTS_zpsf22df7e4.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Early Janurary>>>
EarlyJan_zps4c291b6c.jpg
alt="" />

<<<Late December>>>
LateDec2_zps39be3d6b.jpg
alt="" />

<<<The Beginning>>>
LateDec_zps94729ad2.jpg
alt="" />

Equipment

Marineland Eclipse 25 gallon tank (Craigslist special)
Old media cabinet modded to hold two tanks
ReefBreeders 120w Value fixture
No Skimmer ATM
No Sump ATM
EcoTech MP10w @ 75% Tidal Swell Mode
Aqueon Pro 150w
JBJ ATO w/ AquaLifter pump.
Fluval 406 Canister (Soon to be removed for RP3 filter w/ overflow)
Coralife 3 stage RO/DI 75gpd w/BRS DI extra DI stage and dual in-line TDS
Salinity Salt Mix

Biological Filtration

CaribSea Ocean Direct
25 pounds Wall o' Live Rock - no real inspiration, just did it that way.
Macros
Biomax and Filter Floss in Canister

Livestock

Yellow Watchman Goby
Pistol Shrimp
Green Spotted Goby
Red Brittle Starfish
Coral Banded Shrimp
Flame Angel

Corals

Need help naming these guys...lol
Green and Red Zoanthids (I have no idea what they are called)
Fuzzy Green Mushrooms
TriColor Orange Ricordea Florida
Xenia
Light Blue Pallys
Blue and Pink Acan

Other Photos

Side320_zpsc1b12bee.jpg
alt="" />

NewFixture_zps13da9fe3.jpg
alt="" />

GreenShrooms_zps22ee6835.jpg
alt="" />

Xenia_zps94afab81.jpg
alt="" />

Rocidia_zps2291d3d0.jpg
alt="" />

ZoaRock_zps8eb3b441.jpg
alt="" />

ZoaBall_zpscd8950c0.jpg
alt="" />

Acan_zpsb984be0d.jpg
alt="" />

GreenSpotted_zps98baca65.jpg
alt="" />

You've come a long way with that one!!! Good job with it!!!

How in the heck did you get your rock to purple up like that? Mine were coloring up like crazy, then just stopped.

CedzAquAddiction;849655 wrote: You've come a long way with that one!!! Good job with it!!!

How in the heck did you get your rock to purple up like that? Mine were coloring up like crazy, then just stopped.

Kent PurpleTech. I was real skeptical at first because of what I read about it, but it worked like a champ!

JimmyStephens;849661 wrote: Looks great matt. Good job

Thanks Jimmy, a good portion of that rock came from you! Ha. Also was that an Acan I bought from you last week?

wow I heard the purple up products didnt work. Cant wait to see what you do with the overflow box

I think your zoas are green bay packers and radioactive dragon eyes.

a>

Man, I might have to try the purple up. My tanks been up 2 months longer and it's nothing compared to that growth of coralline. I've actually got some black/dark green growing in the pits of the rock which looks terrible. Maybe I can overpower it with purple lol.

outdrsyguy1;849863 wrote: Man, I might have to try the purple up. My tanks been up 2 months longer and it's nothing compared to that growth of coralline. I've actually got some black/dark green growing in the pits of the rock which looks terrible. Maybe I can overpower it with purple lol.

Take it easy with the stuff. It can cause you calcium to fluctuate too much if you dose too much. Happened to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JDavid;849817 wrote: wow I heard the purple up products didnt work. Cant wait to see what you do with the overflow box

I think your zoas are green bay packers and radioactive dragon eyes.

http://www.spikescorals.com/Polyps/WYSIWYG-Green-Bay-Packers-Radioactive-Dragon-Eyes/prod_1673.html">http://www.spikescorals.com/Polyps/WYSIWYG-Green-Bay-Packers-Radioactive-Dragon-Eyes/prod_1673.html</a>[/QUOTE]

I was able to order both the pumps from the manufacturer. As soon as they get here I'm going to put the overflow on the left side of the tank. I don't have enough room behind my tank for the box. Not a big deal.

I'm still playing around with lighting position. I'll get it right sooner or later.

Oh and I think you're right about those zoas. I got them from pure reef but the guy didn't tell me what they were called. I was still a newbie back then lol.

mattyams;849884 wrote: I was able to order both the pumps from the manufacturer. As soon as they get here I'm going to put the overflow on the left side of the tank. I don't have enough room behind my tank for the box. Not a big deal.

I'm still playing around with lighting position. I'll get it right sooner or later.

awesome!
how much did the pumps cost?
I don't think its a big deal either. It's a good looking filter, plus easy access to the collection cup.

JDavid;849887 wrote: awesome!
how much did the pumps cost?
I don't think its a big deal either. It's a good looking filter, plus easy access to the collection cup.

They were like $64 shipped. I was shocked especially coming factory direct.

porpoiseaquatics;849919 wrote: Looks good!! I'll check it out in person when I pick up the 20t.

For sure man. But just so you know the wires are still a mess from me moving stuff getting ready to install the RP3 system. Lol

Back