The correct order?

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
When first filling a tank should I add water then sand or sand then water? I have CaribSea live sand if that makes a difference

Water and then sand is usually the preferred. If you do sand first, then adding water will stir is up a lot and increase the cloudiness (on top of an already cloudy stage).

Add some water, then sand. You can use a plate on top of sand to prevent it from pushing all over.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I may be late to the party but we put several inches of water in then added the sand. Remember the CaribSea Arag-Alive (is that what you got?) is packed in water. Just FYI it has little water clearing packets in every bag so you will have to get them out as you pour the sand in. If you have a little bit of water in there already the packets will float to the top.

I may be late to the party but we put several inches of water in then added the sand. Remember the CaribSea Arag-Alive (is that what you got?) is packed in water. Just FYI it has little water clearing packets in every bag so you will have to get them out as you pour the sand in. If you have a little bit of water in there already the packets will float to the top.
Yes I have the Fiji pink Caribsea I did not know about the include solution for clearing water thanks for the heads up

I’ve always had good results adding the sand first (I always use live sand), and then filling with water. I use a plastic container or something similar to keep the stream of water coming out of the hose from stirring up the sand. I also use a lower flow pump. It takes a little longer to fill, but the tank usually clears up quicker. Here’s some pics from when I swapped to black sand in my 50 Gal cube a few months back. It was a quite a process, but worth it.

Empty

1584258405628.jpeg

Filling

1584258361564.jpeg

Within a few hours

1584258472208.jpeg

I do not believe there is any long term consequence from choosing any of the countless orders in which you can introduce water, rock and sand. I don't see why a method that limits cloudiness is preferred, since you are just starting the cycle of the tank and you don't care about looks at that stage? In short: to answer your question, yes! (Every order is correct, so yours must be too!)

I've always added the sand first, then rock and water last. You switch it up though, but wouldn't add the sand or rock to a fully filled aquarium. It'll get messy and you'll have to remove water.

I do not believe there is any long term consequence from choosing any of the countless orders in which you can introduce water, rock and sand. I don't see why a method that limits cloudiness is preferred, since you are just starting the cycle of the tank and you don't care about looks at that stage? In short: to answer your question, yes! (Every order is correct, so yours must be too!)

For me, I’ve noticed two things:

1) getting impatient and not letting that first batch of salt mix for at least 24 hours will result in white sediment all over your tank and equipment.

2) ditto sediment on everything if you stir up the sand too much when adding it.

I did two tank setups recently, and to me there was a huge difference in the second tank where I did those things. I swear on the first tank with salt/sand residue everywhere... wherever that residue was, bad algae soon followed. And my powerheads, overflow, sump, pumps, and glass were definitely happier.

Just my $0.03!

Back