The dreaded day is approaching!

curator

Market
Reaction score
I am moving at the end of the month (fortuantely, only about 6 miles) and know nothing about moving a tank. The prospect seems pretty scarey. Do I need to remove everything, including rockwork?

Any advice will be very appreciated,

John

John, For your size tank it is pretty simple... Take the rock out and put it in a bucket or cooler with the tank water over it. Bag all the fish and coral you can remove (if you can not get the coral off the big rocks just be careful about stacking rock on it in the bucket or the cooler). Best advice is to remove the sand but IMHO it is not really needed for your small tank. Just keep about 1" of water over the sand. Move the tank carefully being sure to support it on the bottom at all times with two people. You have weight in the bottom and you do not want to leave it unsupported. Move it over to the new location ASAP. Place your rock back in, add about 1/2 of the old water back in. Add new salt water to fill the tank. If it has been a short move, less then about two hours, I would not worry about acclimating the fish. Done!

30 gallon Oceanic Biocube with four fish and lots of invertebrates.

Brandon, that certainly sounds doable. I guess I was naive thinking there was a way to leave the rock work intact. I had wondered about the possibility of placing sheets of foam or styrofoam on the inside of the glass walls so I could move it with the rocks.

Yes, having moved several tanks remove everything. Take it as a good opportunity to do some serious cleaning and checking of all equipment. If at all possible overlap the move, meaning see if you can get in early there or move out late where you are. I usually have been able to take 2/3 of the water and set it up in a container (my friend had one of those huge rubbermaid troughs) I put a couple of power-heads in there and a heater or in your case a fan blowing across the top to keep the heat down. Take pictures of the rock work to make assembling it back easier. Don't worry about lighting if it is a day or two transition everything will be fine.
... and be glad that you are not moving from Boston Mass. to Albany New York in February with a 5 day stop in between at your in-laws because the new landlord decided that the floors had to be redone and didn't tell you until the day before your lease was up in Boston ... Oh yeah there was snow and my wifes cat had to ride with me in the U-haul ... but I digress
Good luck!

Curator;196421 wrote: Brandon, that certainly sounds doable. I guess I was naive thinking there was a way to leave the rock work intact. I had wondered about the possibility of placing sheets of foam or styrofoam on the inside of the glass walls so I could move it with the rocks.

I mean, it can be done but i would not recommend it... First off, you will prob kill alot that is living in the rocks, which will cause a cycle, which will crash the tank... So end story is, like said above, take the time to do a good cleaning and equipment chech. Also gives you a chance to make any changes that you have wanted to make but did not want to break down the tank for. (ie, new sand bed, new rock work, catch a fish that you do not want, etc...)

member.php

Back