The fluval of doom/free frag for newbs tank

90gDreams

Supporting
Reaction score
So I had this fluval kicking around with a couple pieces of gulf rock in it for mantis hitchhikers that were then rehomed. I decided to keep it running as a fishless frag tank/coral qt tank. That gave rise to an idea for a fun low cost reef full of the stuff I like but don't really want in my 90g.

As it grows out this will be used for free frags to anyone that wants them for toadstool, green paly, gsp, xenia, gsp, yellow polyps, Kenya tree, tan candelabra, few macro algaes and bam bam zoas, as all of those were free from members here or hitchhikers on the rock.

***Note the hammers and frogspawn are in QT not part of the build***

Attachments

• 20210503_201631.jpg
    20210503_201631.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 111
Great idea man! The kenya trees in my tank would fill that in a couple weeks 😂 this morning I had 14 babies floating around on the sand bed 🙄

Quick update, gsp is settling in and spreading. Xenia is popping up everywhere. A few new yellow polyps are coming in. Green Palys and toadstool aren't coming along too great. May move them around. New head on the bam bam zoa. Kenya tree is doing what they do. Had a hammer not survive QT so that's the skeleton in the background. Since I'm probably done adding fish or frags to this or the 90g I may get a single damsel or some gobies for this tank. Currently just has two peppermint shrimp and snails.
20210621_203359.jpg

Coming along well. In the competition of what is truly the most invasive coral xenia wins. Not even a contest. Kenya tree drops clones like it's going out of style but the spread from xenia is nuts. I've tossed several handfuls and it's time to do it again.

This is also proof reefing is as hard or easy as you want it to be. I've done one waterchange in 6 months and never check parameters. I'm going to do a few waterchanges to see if I can get better growth on the yellow polyps but this thing is bullet proof.

At some point I'll add some fish. I don't think I need a hospital/holding/fallow tank any longer.

20220117_170903.jpg

Last edited:
The experiment is over. Xenia is the undisputed champ of taking over a tank. GSP gave it a solid run for the money but is easier to contain.

Tore this down and setup a 29g biocube with intent to do a pair of H. Erectus and some gobies.

Yeah that was another interesting thing about it. It was run fishless with just a peppermint shrimp for most of the year. Apparently bristleworms do eventually figure out there are no predators and they got pretty bold.

Back