THE process for cleaning filter socks?

cdelaney

Supporting
Reaction score
I still have not mastered my process and socks never really look as clean as I would like. I'm looking for your tried and true methods. This is what I do..

Collect dirty socks in bucket until I have about 6 that need cleaning (I have 8 and use 2 at a time so this means I'm almost out)

fill bucket with water and a couple capfuls of bleach. let sit for a day or forget and they sit for 2 days.

put them in washing machine and pick some kind of cycle (I've tried different things but I'm dangerous with a washing machine) but I usually choose some kind of extra rinse.

put socks in bucket with rodi and a capful of prime. let sit 24-48 hours.

pour out socks and water and let them air dry until dry and they are then "ready" for use.

they are never back to nice and white. I've turned them inside out while soaking in bleach but results aren't much better.

I've got 6 ready to go through a cycle. I'm going to choose what I think sounds best and give it a whirl..

Toss them away, get cups and use floss, you will save yourself HOURS and HOURS. The floss can be bought in bulk from Walmart that will last you about 2 years and cost you $30. Cups can be purchased from many places.

That’s a lot of extra steps. I just put mine in a wash cycle with Hot water and some bleach. Rinse with tap water with Prime in it then let air dry for 24 hours. My socks are small so I’m unable to turn them inside out. If you’re able to, do that for the washing machine part. Hot water is also important for the wash cycle.

One time use filter floss or get yourself a fleece roller. Socks are a Pita and not worth the annoyance.

That’s a lot of extra steps. I just put mine in a wash cycle with Hot water and some bleach. Rinse with tap water with Prime in it then let air dry for 24 hours. My socks are small so I’m unable to turn them inside out. If you’re able to, do that for the washing machine part. Hot water is also important for the wash cycle.
"How you use bleach is the key to either making or breaking its cleaning power. By using hot water instead of cold/tepid water to create a solution, you can render the active ingredients in bleach ineffective. So for bleach that works, always make sure you dilute it in cold/tepid water."

Rate of reaction for sodium hypochlorite has a positive correlation to temperature
(hotter = faster)

Attachments

• A9C4E627-B4E7-476F-B736-7DEFD89430BE.jpeg
    A9C4E627-B4E7-476F-B736-7DEFD89430BE.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 13
Before I went to the disposable socks, I power washed my socks, soaked in a peroxide solution for several hours and then tossed in the wash with bleach. Air dry and good to go. I had a GHA problem, so many could probably forgo the power wash step.

I think my process is pretty solid, about same boat with 8 socks on rotation. When 2 come out they are rinsed in tap water then go into a bucket of water with a splash of bleach. Next 2 socks are tap water rinsed off, and into that same bucket of bleach. Sometimes that bucket of bleach is sitting for a month, lol! Last set of socks I’ll change the bucket water and bleach after a tap water rinsing and sit for a couple days then drain the water and dump all into the washing machine and wash on normal cycle with bleach with multiple extra rinse settings. Air dry all socks. But I may be missing a step…

Now here’s my question, why use prime? If it air dries the socks dry make bleach inert right, or am I wrong on this?

Back