The resiliency of zoa/palys amazes me...

FutureInterest

Market
Reaction score
So last night I fragged a few zoas that were overgrowing a plug. I cut a few polyps off that were hanging off the edge, put them on their own plugs and put them on a rack in the frag tank. Then I got distracted and went to bed shortly afterwards... leaving the original frag plug on the fragging table.... ALL NIGHT and most of the morning. When I went to go feed the fish the following day is when I noticed the dried piece of coral jerky on the table which was a full 12 hours of sitting on my fragging table. They were shriveled up and just flat pieces of colorful nothing. On a whim I threw them in the frag tank and went about my day knowing they were dead and simply curious to see how they would decompose...

When I came back home hours later they were plumped up... closed but no longer flat like paper. By the time the lights were going off, they looked pretty decent... plumper and still mostly closed but one of the polyps was even opening up! :) I'll take a pic of them later.

@futureinterest I was thinking the same thing the other day. I had a zoa fall to the back of my tank where it was hard to reach. I told myself I would get it when I did my water change but forgot about it and a week later I remembered and picked it up off the sand bed. The heads had been in the sand and I figured this guy was done for...nope opened up in a couple hours!! Win!!

Wow, that's nuts. When I was first starting out I had tried to keep Zoa's and any plug I put in the tank would stay closed and melt away. This was around the 4-6 month mark and I stopped tried for a while. At around the 10 months, on a whim, I tried another plug and it did great. Now it seems I can't kill them. One of the frags I got from you for the contest had come loose from the plug in transit home and I tacked it back down then put it in the tank. The next day I found it flapping in the current barely attached to the plug. It was all closed up and looked pretty pissed. I pulled it out and scrapped all the glue off and reattached it with maybe a little too much gel on a couple polyps. Now it's doing fine a has new growth.

Back