The state of the saltwater hobby is starting to look sad.

Adam

Trustee
Staff member
Sponsor
Supporting
Reaction score
News this moring that Indonesia shut down the entire aquarium trade starting today 5/4/2018. No more exports of any type, coral, fish, anemones... nothing. Not even any local trade within the country. It's been said that 80 to 90% of the imports come from Indonesia.

This is after Walt Smith International is shut down. Many heard about the 1st shut down in Fiji but there were two more and the last one looks to have put him out of business. And the present shutdown in Hawaii means prices are about to skyrocket and supply will become more and more scarce.

There is an all out attack on the marine aquarium hobby by environmentalists and we have no voice and are the easiest target for them. Things are changing and changing fast. It's really got me sitting here thinking about my future in this hobby. I have a good bit of money tied up in my systems. Is now a good time to get out and sell everything while it still has some value or keep plugging away and hope for the best? I feel like the latter is like putting your head in the sand and hopeing things get better.

I've wanted to be in this hobby for a long time. Recently I had to ability to make it happen and now I looks like I may have gotten it too late. When many of the fish we keep die we'll only be able to replace them with the ones that can be tank bred. That rules out all tangs and most other fish we keep. Have a system crash? Well that could be the end for you. No way to replace the corals without mortgaging the house.

It's a sad day to say the least.

These things happen when your dealing with live animals.  The apparent ban is temporary.  Personally I don't think it is a deal breaker for our hobby no matter what happens.  There are many other open fisheries throughout the world.  If nothing else it will increase pricing and demand for certain species.  I would definitely hang onto coral or fish from those parts of the world where regulations are increasing.  Personally, I think more strict regulations are a good thing as our oceans are struggling in many parts of the world.  As such, we should be more dependant on aquacultured coral and fish.  Just my 2 cents.

Things have clarified throughout the day. Right now the only things not banned are fish. It's a little better but the trend is still very concerning.

I found this on another site

Tyf3jla6arj6ky34gq041w049fr3glela.jpg
alt="tapatalk_1525534827176" />

happens about every 3-4 years. important.. sure.. but it won't be the end

Back