The Sting of an Anemone

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I've had an RBTA in my system since Mother's Day and as often as I've had my hands in my tank, I've never gotten stung. The 'nem has never moved from its spot, but it's growing like crazy. Yesterday a.m. before leaving my house for work, I reached into the tank to move my starry night coral out of the way of the nem's spread; I got a nasty sting when my arm brushed against the anemone. By the time I was halfway to work, my lower arm was red, swollen and burning like crazy.

I'm wondering why I suddenly got stung? For some reason, I always thought anemones were covered in a substance that would cause a reaction (sting) when coming in contact with other objects, and that if you never felt anything you simply were immune or not allergic/sensitive to that substance. But do they in fact actively sting (like a bee) when something touches them or when they touch something else?

Also, one of my clownfish finally adopted the nem in a host relationship this past week. Could that have activated its stinging defense mechanism which may have been dormant until then?

After holding a cold can of Diet Coke against my arm for awhile, the sting effect pretty much went away and the swelling is gone, but I'm sure going to be careful when working in the tank around the RBTA's rock from now on.

That smarts!

>

The skin on your arm would be more sensative to a nems sting than your hands would. I have had the same issue with my frogspawn. Makes me be a little bit more careful when I go diving in the 160!

BTW..beautiful nem!

I agree with mark. I made the mistake of touching my GBTA when I has a paper cut on my finger and it hurt like he__! I jerked my hand back so fast I broke the light.

So an anemone has the stinging substance on its tentacles all the time?

I would say yes...but it may choose when to use it. Kind of like a woman and her quick wit!:)

I believe they always sting. Those lil nemocysts just fire on contact and its simply a reaction. It's just that usually our skin is too thick for them to do any damage. The skin on your arms though is substantially thinner than the skin on your hands which is why you can feel the sting :sad:.

FutureInterest;234218 wrote: I believe they always sting. Those lil nemocysts just fire on contact and its simply a reaction. It's just that usually our skin is too thick for them to do any damage. The skin on your arms though is substantially thinner than the skin on your hands which is why you can feel the sting :sad:.

I totally agree! :yes:

Linda, I love your rose! Nice photo too! :up:

It also depends on if they feel they are in danger. When I up graded my tank and took my green carpet out it got a hold of me and didn't want to let go. Now after 3 months I still have the scar on my arm. It now looks like a burn.

GA-PEACHES72;234607 wrote: It also depends on if they feel they are in danger. When I up graded my tank and took my green carpet out it got a hold of me and didn't want to let go. Now after 3 months I still have the scar on my arm. It now looks like a burn.

How did it get on your arm?

How bad is the scar? Can we see a pic?

This hobby has many costs, but scarring was not one that I expected (except for accidents during DIY, but that's different)

When I was picking it up to move it out of the tank it touched my are. It is really a big Carpet I put it in a 1 gallon tank just to move it and it filled it up all the way. When I got it to the 20 gallon that was its home for 3 day I had to leave the tank in the new tank untill it let go. When it first got me it was an area about 6-7 inches. Now the scar is about 3 inches. As soon as I find my camera I will try to get a pic.

think of it this way, your hand is basically one giant callace.. the skin is used often and is much tougher then almost anywhere else on your body.. turn your hand over, I bet it would get the back of your hand pretty easily

Back