The thing about buying frags.

ouling

Market
Reaction score
I use to like to get frags thats 1''-2''. But small frags grow pretty slow, and it takes usually 1 year before it gets anywhere. how long does it take your little frag to grow to 5'' or so? Large colonies grows very fast, and it is worth spending the extra money.

It all depends on the frag, I have a Frogspawn that grew from 2 heads to 19 heads in about 6 months. Different corals grow at different rates.

Needless to say, the growth rate is proportional to the size, as the rate is percentage based... 10% per year say, for a 5" coral is much more than a 1" coral, etc.

It's weird... I've had candy canes grow incredibly fast, while other candy canes in the same tank have grown very little if any.

If you have some spare equipment room, I've seen people hang secondary holding tanks off their sumps in a small closed loop loop and run 24x7 lighting on it and fast-track frags.

I having trouble with that frog spawn can grow from 2 heads to 19 in just 6 months-how me pictures. well i've seen some staghorn that get almost 1'' every 2-3 months on a 5'' colony

As others have said depends on the coral. I grow probably 2"+ a month of monti cap, but a lot of my nicer SPS grows very slowly. If you stop dosing strontium, shift the kelvin closer to 5k and increase lighting, you should see much faster growth in the stonies.

you cant see the actual heads but you can see the growth. Here are my Zoanthids after 6 months as well.

newtankraisedfrogspawnoctober2006.jpg
alt="" />
FrogspwanApril20072.jpg
alt="" />
newlimegreenzoeanthidsoctober2006.jpg
alt="" />
ZonathidsMay20073.jpg
alt="" />

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4717">
</a>[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4717"></a>

If you want fast growth, you need to keep fragging the frag every month, or when they get to a couple of inces in size. When you take a 2" frag and make it in to two one inch frag you have two growth tips, split it two more times, you have 8 growth tips, and in a few months you have a nice size colony.... Ofcourse some grow faster and some grow slower.... some just don't grow... I don't know why!!!!!

I bought this "purple monster" 5 months back. It have not GROWN AT ALL. Encrusted 1/10 of an inch... Expensive stuff always grow slow.

That's why they are expensive....

ouling;43632 wrote: I bought this "purple monster" 5 months back. It have not GROWN AT ALL. Encrusted 1/10 of an inch... Expensive stuff always grow slow.

Maroons16;43582 wrote: It all depends on the frag, I have a Frogspawn that grew from 2 heads to 19 heads in about 6 months. Different corals grow at different rates.

Where is your 19 head frogspawn?

What do you mean in the Usual way? Yes it does have 19 heads but they are VERY close together and they are smaller heads. It doesn't look very big but it is VERY dense.

depends on how youre coutning the heads... counting branches or mouth number?

Back