Thickness Planer Suggestions

tgriffin

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys..... I know we have several woodworking guru's on here so I figured I'd ask for suggestions on a planer. I am wanting to try to step up my game on woodworking and would like to add a planer soon. I am looking for something less than $500. Any suggestions?

Website links for products would be good as well as any links for reading up on them.

Thx

Your about $100 shy of what I would recommend.

Be patient I am going to upgrade very soon

Oh I'm patient when it comes to money (cause I don't have much!)........... It's everything else that I'm not patient with!

I picked up a Ridged planer a few years ago. Highly recommend it. I like it better than the Delta, out Dewalt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

tgriffin;689367 wrote: Oh I'm patient when it comes to money (cause I don't have much!)........... It's everything else that I'm not patient with!

You can say that again! :D

I had the Dewalt 735 and loved it. That may be the one Grouper is thinking about. I sold it only because I started doing a lot of my woodworking with hand tools just for the sheer pleasure. Besides I can work as late into the night as I want.

jusney;689542 wrote: I had the Dewalt 735 and loved it. That may be the one Grouper is thinking about. I sold it only because I started doing a lot of my woodworking with hand tools just for the sheer pleasure. Besides I can work as late into the night as I want.
Exactly the 735 is a step above the other 734 dewalt or the rigid and delta table top models.

I couldn't handle the Dewalt 735 because it was so freakin LOUD. It's crazy LOUD. I live in a townhouse community so I have to be (somewhat) conscious of the neighbors.

I bought the Steel City 40200H planer from Highland Woodworking on sale for $499. I say "on sale," but it must be a permanent price, because it's still "on sale" for $499 to this day (at Highland and every other vendor). It has a helical cutterhead, rather than three straight blades like the Dewalt 735 has (and almost all other lunchbox planers), so it has a very smooth cut and does well on less than perfect planing woods. It continues to provide great bang for my buck, and being able to machine my own material from roughcut lumber has really opened up my woodworking hobby.

Dustin

RedEDGE2k1;689568 wrote: I couldn't handle the Dewalt 735 because it was so freakin LOUD. It's crazy LOUD. I live in a townhouse community so I have to be (somewhat) conscious of the neighbors.

I bought the Steel City 40200H planer from Highland Woodworking on sale for $499. I say "on sale," but it must be a permanent price, because it's still "on sale" for $499 to this day (at Highland and every other vendor). It has a helical cutterhead, rather than three straight blades like the Dewalt 735 has (and almost all other lunchbox planers), so it has a very smooth cut and does well on less than perfect planing woods. It continues to provide great bang for my buck, and being able to machine my own material from roughcut lumber has really opened up my woodworking hobby.

Dustin

I'm not familiar with the Steel City planer, but $499 for a helical cutterhead is amazing. I have the Dewalt 734 it does a good job, but changing the blades is a ****.

RedEDGE2k1;689568 wrote: I couldn't handle the Dewalt 735 because it was so freakin LOUD. It's crazy LOUD. I live in a townhouse community so I have to be (somewhat) conscious of the neighbors.

Dustin

Yea the 735 is very loud. I was unaware of the availability of a small planer with a helical head. That would be far superior to any of the others. I'm shopping for a 24 " with a BYRD spherical head now.:up: I think I found a good deal on a 12" jointer!

Thanks guys......

Dustin

I checked out the planer you suggested. I like it. I actually wouldn't mind checking yours out one day before I do decide on getting one. If that would be okay let me know

Tyson

No problem, I'll be making sawdust this weekend if you want to come see'er in action.

a>

Hey Dustin

I'm going to be tied up all day Saturday having some folks over helping me root for my Razorbacks but Sunday after lunch would be a good time for me if that would work for you. If not no worries at all...... I'm still a good ways away from pulling the trigger on one

PM me if that works for you

So what do you boys do to control sawdust? I have been working in my garage and then just clean up with a shop vac. I don't have any kind of attachment for collecting sawdust. I didn't know what other options out there actually work

I use a Jet DC-1100 dust collector for my table saw, jointer, router table and planer (I have them piped to the dust collector). I bought it used on Craigslist for $250 I think. Craigslist is great for tools and machinery, I've saved a ton of money going that route.

I have a Shop Vac, too, but the only time I use it is when I'm drilling pocket holes with my Kreg jig. Otherwise it just collects dust, no pun intended.

Dustin

Does it have the ability to attach a hose to it and use it like a big shop vac?

tgriffin;689847 wrote: Does it have the ability to attach a hose to it and use it like a big shop vac?

They typically have 4" or 6" ports, for 4" or 6" hose/pipe. But, there are accessories available that let you use the dust collector like a vacuum cleaner, like this option from Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20376">http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20376</a>

Dustin

well.................... I was planning on buying a planer next but ended up dropping the hammer on a 14" Grizzly bandsaw today! I'm hoping it does the trick for me. I am hoping to start trying to build some adirondack furniture to make me a little spending money on the side. I'm thinking this saw will fit the bill

tgriffin;694303 wrote: well.................... I was planning on buying a planer next but ended up dropping the hammer on a 14" Grizzly bandsaw today! I'm hoping it does the trick for me. I am hoping to start trying to build some adirondack furniture to make me a little spending money on the side. I'm thinking this saw will fit the bill

You'll want an oscillating spindle sander to go with your new bandsaw. See, the joy in woodworking is there's always another tool to buy :)

I'd check the prices on adirondack chairs in stores before you go too far -- they are one of those kinds of furniture that is mind-blowingly cheaper to buy than to build. Ace Hardware used to sell them for $29 in Auburn, which was about half the cost of the lumber alone.

Dustin

There are several nice pieces of equipment for sale on the Woodworkers guild of Georgia Tools Forum if anyone is interested.

Back