Think I have ick?

thearnoldocean

Market
Reaction score
I think added a Yellow Tang about 2 weeks ago and I think he has ick. Any suggestions on how to treat? Seems to be a lot of things you can buy.

a>

IMO, throw a couple cleaners in and ignore. If you keep your fish fed properly and the water nice and clean, you probably will never have a significant outbreak. I personally just live with it but I do have 5 cleaners, UV and Ozone slamming the water pretty well.

Cameron;99186 wrote: IMO, throw a couple cleaners in and ignore. If you keep your fish fed properly and the water nice and clean, you probably will never have a significant outbreak. I personally just live with it but I do have 5 cleaners, UV and Ozone slamming the water pretty well.

I have a cleaner shrimp that serviced a fish on only one occasion that was actually witnessed (the fish submitted to a thorough cleaning), but we've never seen that happen since. The shrimp is constantly reaching for the fish and offering services, but no fish will stand still. Does this mean there are no parasites for the shrimp to clean? Would the fish *know* if there's a problem and submit? And, lastly, will the shrimp be fine just eating regular foods? (We've had the shrimp about 4 months.)

Cleaner shrimp dont actually eat ick. But they will go a lonfg ways towrads keeping your fish happy and comfortable. The will consume detritus, slime, maybe some small ectoparasites, but they do not consume ick cysts. Linda, the fish are surely using the cleaners, just not in your view. My fish are the same way. Once I come near the tank, they insist its feeding time, and nothing else matters.
However, I do agree with Cameron that, although certainly not a cure, they will help a lot in general fish health. Just keep an eye out for a significant infestation. There may be a point where you'll want to treat.

Back