Think I'm dosing the wrong chemical

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
So I recently set up dosing containers on my tank. I checked my parameters today in my magnesium with 1600 or higher but my alkalinity was at 7.1 and normally I keep it at 8.4. I just happen to look at my magnesium mixing jug and realized it seemed kind of low. That made me wonder if I accidentally put magnesium in my alkalinity dosing container. Can I just put some of this in ro di water and test it to find out?

Yes. But an easier way may be to put a few drops into your tank. Alk solution will generally immediately appear like white smoke in your tank, as it quickly dissipates. And while I haven’t done dedicated mag solution in a while, I think I remember it seeming clear and slightly oil-like (for lack of a better word). Can someone else chime in?

Yes. But an easier way may be to put a few drops into your tank. Alk solution will generally immediately appear like white smoke in your tank, as it quickly dissipates. And while I haven’t done dedicated mag solution in a while, I think I remember it seeming clear and slightly oil-like (for lack of a better word). Can someone else chime in?
This is correct.

It sounds like your on the right track for the question you asked. Are you dosing 3 part? I dose a 2 part and the calcium has magnesium and strontium in it. In the past I've had my magnesium get a little high and had to switch the calcium dose to one that was just calcium (no Mg or strontium) to get the levels down. I would check to make sure the Calcium dose doesn't have anything other than calcium in it if you're going to be dosing Mg as well.

Back