Think this phyto culture is ready?

jaustin

Market
Reaction score
Well this is my first phyto culture, looks like it took. I started the culture from a few oz of DT's about 5 days ago. It's really dark, i can't even see the light through it anymore.

I guess i'll have to slam a 2 liter of coke today to split the culture.

Pics
100_3781.jpg
alt="" />
100_3780.jpg
alt="" />

I plan on dosing it at night for my corals. I'm going to be getting a Clam soon and was wanting to get the hang of culturing phyto. Phyto costs alot to buy and I was thinking i can offer it more to my animals if i culture it myself.

I'll be sharing with all my friends that have reefs in the area too since i will never need as much that is being produced.

Just keep a close eye on your nitrates and phosphates when dosing - you'll be adding a good bit of nutrients to the water if they don't get consumed. You won't need the phyto for the clam, and it's unlikely the corals will require it. They may do better with the phyto, but they'd probably do fine without.

My dose will only be for target feeding. I've also got a good handle on the excess nutrients. I've got a total water volume of about 70g with a Octo extreem 160 skimmer that's mesh modded. I also run carbon changed out bi-monthley.

Thanks for your input though, with adding phyto on a regular basis i will be keeping an eye on those levels as i alwayse do.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to dump that entire 2 liters into your tank. :up:

Are you rolling that bottle between your hands every day to keep the animals in suspension?

If not expect alot of die off from smothering..

Xyzpdq0121;311957 wrote: Here is your sign...

I'm pretty sure I know what phyto is for- it was my polite way of making sure he wasn't going to overdose his tank...

Ha, the corals would love that at night when their polyps are out the most. My tank would smell like a dead fish the next day though.

It's cool to see how quickley my skimmer pulls out the phyto. If i target feed at night and my skimmer juice is brown, by the next morning it will be green. my skimmer takes the money out of my wallet and turns it into some of the worst room temperature crud i can think of.

I mix up the bottle up a couple times a day, the bubbles keep it stirred up mostley. I think tomorrow i'll split it. I took the lid off and smelled it....it smells like nothing really. I guess thats good. I would think dead phyto smells bad.

you guys are funney. Are all of you going to be at the next meeting? I can't wait to put a face with the name.

Any updates? Been thinking. I know they need light and feed on polutants, so could you boost growth by using a little water from a water change or go all out and use skimmer waste?

I think it needs to be darker IMHO.

Yours is a nice glowing green color but I believe it needs to be less glowing and toward the browner side of the spectrum.....I think.

i split the culture at 7 days and it got darker. The second culture is going now and getting darker every day. I only used 1/3 phyto and 2/3 new salt water with tap added at 1.019. I add 5ml of liquid mirical grow and 1ml of trace elements.

Back