Think we've come up with a fish list.

jesspete

Market
Reaction score
Looks like I'm losing more coral than I thought. A couple of the leathers still don't look too happy, but haven't completely dissolved. Green slimer, blue mille, my favorite birdsnest, kryptonize mille that I had nursed back to health as a free frag, acro colony, pink stylo colony, and a couple more frags. Sigh. Oh well.

Went up to imagine and creation yesterday. Jenn only had one of those backup pumps, but we got it and will probably pick up one more. Anyhow, browsing the fish gave us an idea of what we wanted to do.

Our last stocklist was (we gravitated this way because of a rogue mantis that was later caught, but it set the pattern for large and aggressive fish with few inverts): Large snowflake eel, blue jaw trigger, large yellow tang, good sized regal tang, pair of oceallaris, dragon goby, mandarin dragonet (for you Jenn), and a large green wrasse.

We think this time we'll go with quite a few smaller fish and one or maybe</em> two larger "centerpieces". We wanna keep to relatively inexpensive fish, with the large one being under or close to 100.

Here are the thoughts: three or four anthias, one or two fairy or flasher wrasses, mayhaps some blue chromis. Midas blenny (I've fallen in love)

For the larger specimen, I was thinking a sailfin or magnificent foxface, but Richard isn't convinced. He doesn't like either enough for them to be the sole large fish. He does like the powder blue tangs. We also liked the kole tang, but again, he wasn't down with that being the only large fish. Any other ideas for a "centerpiece fish".

I also considered instead of a single larger fish, doing a copperband and a sailfin. Seems like I've chosen some picky eaters though, and I still have a lot of research to do. Any suggestions or big hints?

Hey Jess! 3 cheers for the Midas Blenny, it is our favorite fish. We have one that is about 5" long and it has become the showboat of the tank - although our purple tang might still be considered the centerpiece.

Good to hear! The midas is newly discovered (by me) and is on my "must have" list. ("I'm a big fan of parentheses and quotation marks today.")

JessPete;347621 wrote: I also considered instead of a single larger fish, doing a copperband and a sailfin.

Careful with a tang and a CBB in the same system. Our sailfin is tiny, but quite bossy. Often a tang will harass and stress a copperband to no end.

For a *centerpiece fish*, I'd consider a potters angel. Matt/Creation gets large, vibrantly colored potters in his store from time to time. They're also great for gobbling up diatoms (at least, ours was).

Jess,
You can't go wrong with a Midas Blenny! I had one (he decided to try the dog bed, wrong move) who had a great personality. Now I have a Red Lipped Blenny that is a real clown.

If they wouldn't fight I would do a whole blenny tank! Oh, those and gobies. I like fish with faces :)

Susie

Your idea sounds a lot like mine, Jess. I too, am looking for one or two center piece fish. I love a Foxface, so he's on the list. I also love a Potter's Angel, but have have no luck with 1 and watched my friend's last only 3 months. I need to research!

I'm going to go with several anthias, I think. I like wrasse, but I'm thinking they will eat pods like no tomorrow and possibly keep me from getting the mandarin one day. Plus, anthias seem to be more social and active than wrasse, IMO.

I think a potters or any other type of dwarf angel is a risky chance if you are gearing your tank towards corals. Obviously many people have great luck with them, but they have a higher probability of corals snacking than other fish, andI have heard </em>that pottes are particularly worse than others, especially on LPS/brains. You can try, but just have a contingency for removing the fish. Also, somtimes they will go months/years without eating corals then BOOM. Bye Bye LE coral (as they never seem to eat free or cheapos). But, this goes for many other fish too, like rabbitfish, tangs, etc.. :(

BTW, some anthias get very big, even more common ones like lyretails, purple square, Hutchii, etc. THey can easily grow to become what I assume you mean when you say centerpiece. So be careful on adding lots of anthias and expecting them to be little, quiet, and purdy. They can get big (and agressive). Look on live aquaria and you will see their max sizes. I was astonished when I first saw male lyretails at nearly 6", and mean as hades. Usually you wont find them in stores that large, but if you want to keep them long term you might consider that.

Just a note from my experience, I have found that my lyretails do not grow very fast. On the other hand, my borbonius are growing very rapidly, and i actually hope to see them reach 4" someday (maybe a year or 2)

after reading this am, I think a cbb is on the outs for me.

Derek, thanks for the tips on anthias! We're staying away from possible coral gobblers. I've had enough loss for now, would hate to have to murder a fish.

I love my sailfin. not the most colorful fish ever, but friendly. Greets me at the door (tank is right next to the door). the little guy even likes to be pet at times...odd, but neat to me. Very social to those he knows, can be timid to strangers. Just my experience...

JessPete;347662 wrote: after reading this am, I think a cbb is on the outs for me.

Derek, thanks for the tips on anthias! We're staying away from possible coral gobblers. I've had enough loss for now, would hate to have to murder a fish.

If you're nixing the CBB and still want a tang, I'd consider the chevron tang. Bob (bobz) has one and there's a picture posted on the boards somewhere... but now I can't find it.)

I love the shape of the sailfins! Thought about a desarjini (sp?), they're a little more colorful.

Linda Lee;347695 wrote: If you're nixing the CBB and still want a tang, I'd consider the chevron tang. Bob (bobz) has one and there's a picture posted on the boards somewhere... but now I can't find it.)

Gorgeous! A little higher than we wanted to go, but could well be worth it. Bob? What say you?

I think I'm done with tangs...I love them, but dang they are trouble sometimes!

In the previous setup, we had a yellow forever, and a regal that had really grown. We only went through one tang mortality before we got those two happy and healthy. Not looking forward to battling the unforseens again with brand new fish.

I love the Anthias'. A little partial since I have one. He has sooo much personality that when I eventually set up a larger tank, I'll get some for that tank as well. Make sure you keep them in odd numbers only ..one male, 2 females.

Jess,
Sorry you lost more coral than you expected. IF that Gorgonian you were holding for me survived, and IF you want it, you're welcome to keep it. If not, we'll get together. May be all I can do, but it's the least I can do (if that makes any sense).
B

It does, but you're welcome to have it. Let me treat for flatworms first.

Re-aquascaped today. Had to tear up the setup to get the eel out the other day. I'm pretty satisfied. It opened up more swimming room and gave me a few more places to tuck corals.

Added a dragon goby today. He's one of the few fish we're sticking with. He's just chilling in the tank on his own. Blenny in the frag tank is still feeling fine. I've seen one of our serpent stars alive and happy. The other is MIA. Many of the sand sifting snails have been spotted, and all of our big ones look ok too. Put most of the larger pieces of coral back in the DT tank and I can sit in front of it now without being really sad. Next in the tank is a midas blenny and some peppermints! I saw a fantastic one at Creation, but would rather get it from Blue Planet if they get one in this week, just because it's not such a haul.

When I was looking for a sandsifter, I was originally going with a diamond goby. That was the first time around, but Blue Planet didn't have any. Wound up with a dragon goby instead, and I just like 'em. He didn't create a HUGE mess, although I had to watch the lower rocks and corals on the sand bed. I think I consider them underdogs because they aren't as colorful. They're so peaceful! I don't have any concrete reasons, I suppose.

Back