Thinking About Going Bare Bottom

shanepike

Market
Reaction score
Now that I have Rich's attention... :)

After some http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89145">serious problems</a> with my tank, I tore everything down today and completely started over. All I have in the tank right now is rock and water...and I kinda like it. And [I]wow</em>, seeing the junk that had accumulated in the sand in just six months or so, it [I]really</em> has me thinking about staying sand-free.

Is there a reason I [I]shouldn't</em> stay bare-bottom? From what I've read (including Dave's great write-ups and videos), it's great for SPS, but I'm sticking with softies for now so that's not a consideration.

What do I lose by not using any kind of substrate?

I had sand for a year. Moved my tank rinsed the sand and everything seems fine. My goby sifts it around so its not stagnant. What happened with yours? It doesn't bother anything in my tank.

Really, it's a personal preference. I've ran BB tanks for 8 years or so and love them. Sure, I miss the look of sand, but it's nothing I cant live without. Few key things to have....a good skimmer and LOTS of flow to kick up the crud for export.

I understand how you feel.When i set my 180 up,put the rock in.Had the sand ,2 40lb sp grade oc floor .ready to put bags in.Just liked how it looked.Been bb for about 8 months.

20140301_131356_zpsfd03a60d.jpg
alt="" /></a>

It does solve the problem with finding the fine line between great flow and a sand storm doesn't it?

McPhock;943475 wrote: Buffering capacity of aragonite sand.
I asked this same question before I turned my 300 bare bottom (before going to the 465), thinking what you posted here, and I was told there is very little buffering from a sand substrate. This makes sense after it was explained to me, because to dissolve aragonite media in a calcium reactor you need a low pH, much lower than you'd ever have in the water column of a reef tank. Regular substrate will not dissolve at normal tank pH levels.

Now what you will probably find with a BB tank vs one with a substrate is a higher overall ORP level in a BB tank. That is what happened to mine when I pulled the substrate out of my 300 gallon, back when I actually cared what my ORP level was. My average ORP went up by 100, from 250 to 350. That tells me my substrate was holding a lot of organics.

I just moved and set back up bare bottom and I'm liking it , stays clean and i like how it looks like a mirror on the bottom .
Iv not noticed any alk change

ShanePike;943465 wrote: Now that I have Rich's attention... :)

If you do decide to continuously go bare bottom, just make sure your workplace has a "No Pants Friday" or similar policy, hehehe!:D

I would have a hard time giving up my deep sand bed! The reasoning for this has 3 parts-1. I have never seen an ocean without sand. 2. I love my ten wrasses and all of them sleep in the sandbed/also I think the sandbed is beneficial to my 3 mandarins/burrowing gobies/pistol shrimps. 3. I really enjoy seeing the snails/starfish/medusa worms=life(don't forget the good bacteria) in the sandbed. Everyone has to make up their own mind what they want in their tank-but you limit the ability to give a good home to some of the animals that most people decide they want after the tank is up and running. Think hard on the animals that you want to put in the glass box, give them the closest to what they would have in nature. Holley:D

I have been running BB for about 3 years now and wouldnt have it any other way. As Glxtrix said, a good skimmer and lots of flow is a must. Go for it!!!

Acroholic;943498 wrote: I asked this same question before I turned my 300 bare bottom (before going to the 465), thinking what you posted here, and I was told there is very little buffering from a sand substrate. This makes sense after it was explained to me, because to dissolve aragonite media in a calcium reactor you need a low pH, much lower than you'd ever have in the water column of a reef tank. Regular substrate will not dissolve at normal tank pH levels.

Now what you will probably find with a BB tank vs one with a substrate is a higher overall ORP level in a BB tank. That is what happened to mine when I pulled the substrate out of my 300 gallon, back when I actually cared what my ORP level was. My average ORP went up by 100, from 250 to 350. That tells me my substrate was holding a lot of organics.

Bob Fenner at WetWebMedia proclaims otherwise, and I typically trust his opinion. But I've heard a few accomplished reefers, like yourself, say otherwise. I don't have any experience to contribute. :/

Here is specifically what I was referencing:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm</a>

"Compositionally, any substrate you choose is almost certain to be made of aragonite or calcite. Both are forms of calcium carbonate, but arguably aragonite is to be favored for it's better solubility and buffering capacity in seawater (providing necessary bio-minerals, buffering pH, and supporting calcification). Aragonite can begin to dissolve, in fact, at a high pH over 8.0 (a still safe level for marine life), while calcite does not readily dissolve until the pH falls well below 8.0. This means that calcite is not likely to impart any significant benefits (buffers/alkalinity) into the water until the pH falls to a level that is too dangerous for most marine life. In this regard, the old argument of dolomite & crushed coral versus non-calcareous freshwater "gravel" for marine aquariums in the early days was a moot point (they were all calcite). "

Again though, I have no personal experience in this matter.

Guys, thank you so, so, so</em>, so much. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. I'm going to stay BB for the time being just to see how it goes, especially since I can just add sand at any time if ends up not working out.

Acroholic;943524 wrote: If you do decide to continuously go bare bottom, just make sure your workplace has a "No Pants Friday" or similar policy, hehehe!:D
I work out of my house, so it's time to see what my wife things about me walking around with no pants on :D

Raz0945;943563 wrote: Think hard on the animals that you want to put in the glass box, give them the closest to what they would have in nature. Holley:D
Good idea. I'll go ahead and let algae cover the rocks, too, since I've never seen a spot in nature that had coral without copious algae to go along with it ;) I'm just messing with you; I totally know what you mean, Holley, and there's a big part of me that feels the same way.

McPhock;943576 wrote: Bob Fenner at WetWebMedia proclaims otherwise, and I typically trust his opinion. But I've heard a few accomplished reefers, like yourself, say otherwise. I don't have any experience to contribute. :/
McPhock;943578 wrote: Here is specifically what I was referencing:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm</a>

"Compositionally, any substrate you choose is almost certain to be made of aragonite or calcite. Both are forms of calcium carbonate, but arguably aragonite is to be favored for it's better solubility and buffering capacity in seawater (providing necessary bio-minerals, buffering pH, and supporting calcification). Aragonite can begin to dissolve, in fact, at a high pH over 8.0 (a still safe level for marine life), while calcite does not readily dissolve until the pH falls well below 8.0. This means that calcite is not likely to impart any significant benefits (buffers/alkalinity) into the water until the pH falls to a level that is too dangerous for most marine life. In this regard, the old argument of dolomite & crushed coral versus non-calcareous freshwater "gravel" for marine aquariums in the early days was a moot point (they were all calcite). "

Again though, I have no personal experience in this matter.[/QUOTE]

My source is Randy Holmes Farley, but I do respect Bob Fenner very much as well. Per Randy, if you have a stagnant, anaerobic zone in your substrate, you could have aragonite dissolving if the pH were way below that of the water column. But as the goal of most reefkeepers with a substrate is to have it regularly stirred either manually or by crittiers, keeping it aerobic, then that is usually not a concern.
&gt;
[B]From Reefs.org:
Dissolving aragonite utilizing sand-bed gradients[/B]

Randy, from reading your articles I have gathered it is relatively hard to use an aragonite sand bed as calcium/alkalinity support in marine aquaria--due to the factors of saturation, pH etc as preventative mechanisms...

My question is, does the amount of carbonic acid generated by aerobic bacteria metabolism in a normal sand bed create enough of an acidic region to break down aragonite substrate? although its probably not enough to provide the sole alkalinity/Ca+ support needed, it is interesting if there is degradation of the substrate because of this occurence. It is also interesting if there is enough degradation of the substrate that would require regular additions to your sand bed to keep it from dissolving away eventually...
&gt;
[B]Randy's response:[/B]
&gt;
by Randy Holmes-Farley

Aragonite will not dissolve at any appreciable rate if the pH is not reduced below that of the tank itself, because the water is always supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate.

If the pH is lowered for any reason inside a sand bed, then the calcium carbonate can begin to dissolve. The pH down inside my sand bed is substantially below that of the water above the sand (mid to upper 7's compared to 8.4 above it).

The pH in the sand can be lower do to either aerobic or anaerobic respiration where organic materials are broken down. Both produce about the same net amounts of acid.

That said, if the sand is aerobic and organics are breaking down, that necessarily means that there is significant O2 exchange between the water column and the sand.

If there is substantial O2 exchange, then there is likely to be a lot of H+ and OH- exchange (and other acids and bases), and that will limit the pH drop that is experienced in the sand.

So in that sense, low O2 regions may be more likely to experience sand dissolution, but that has little to do with the O2 itself.

One problem is that even if the pH drops low enough for some CaCO3 to dissolve, the calcium and carbonate/bicarbonate are going to be slow to get out, for the same reasons that the acids and bases in the water column are slow to get in.

So it is not an especially efficient process for dissolving sand. It is also dependent on the degradation of organics in the sand, which is likely to be dependent on the nature of the organsims living and moving about in the sand.
&gt;

Link to the exchange: [IMG]http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic25814.html">http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic25814.html</a>

Raz0945;943563 wrote: I would have a hard time giving up my deep sand bed! The reasoning for this has 3 parts-1. I have never seen an ocean without sand. 2. I love my ten wrasses and all of them sleep in the sandbed/also I think the sandbed is beneficial to my 3 mandarins/burrowing gobies/pistol shrimps. 3. I really enjoy seeing the snails/starfish/medusa worms=life(don't forget the good bacteria) in the sandbed. Everyone has to make up their own mind what they want in their tank-but you limit the ability to give a good home to some of the animals that most people decide they want after the tank is up and running. Think hard on the animals that you want to put in the glass box, give them the closest to what they would have in nature. Holley:D

3 very good points

Acroholic;943498 wrote: I asked this same question before I turned my 300 bare bottom (before going to the 465), thinking what you posted here, and I was told there is very little buffering from a sand substrate. This makes sense after it was explained to me, because to dissolve aragonite media in a calcium reactor you need a low pH, much lower than you'd ever have in the water column of a reef tank. Regular substrate will not dissolve at normal tank pH levels.

:up:

Just rock the tank out (no pun intended) for 6 months and see how you like it BB. If you miss the sand too much, just add it in! It's a lot easier putting sand in than taking it out.....trust me!

Back