Thinking about switching salts

nickh06

Market
Reaction score
I am using RedSea coral pro and my alk is pretty high around 13-14. I think its affecting my zoas because they won't open up all the way.

I heard Salinity by seachem has a more balanced (lower) alk. Any thoughts?

I had the same problem after about a year of use, I swiched to the Red Sea salt(blue bucket) which on the red sea website shows it is for the mature reef. All the reaserch I read said that you need to start with the coral pro and slowly transition to the Red Sea or you will have huge spikes in Alk.

bcrueter;1026436 wrote: I had the same problem after about a year of use, I swiched to the Red Sea salt(blue bucket) which on the red sea website shows it is for the mature reef. All the reaserch I read said that you need to start with the coral pro and slowly transition to the Red Sea or you will have huge spikes in Alk.

Good info! Thank you sir. Are you still using the Blue bucket? Did it help?

yes I am. I love the red sea salts. The nutriant levels in the blue bucket are less so I have to watch my Ca and other levels more closley then when I was using Red. but my tank loves the salt.

bcrueter;1026439 wrote: yes I am. I love the red sea salts. The nutriant levels in the blue bucket are less so I have to watch my Ca and other levels more closley then when I was using Red. but my tank loves the salt.

Awesome! I will do the same, appreciate it.

bcrueter;1026439 wrote: yes I am. I love the red sea salts. The nutriant levels in the blue bucket are less so I have to watch my Ca and other levels more closley then when I was using Red. but my tank loves the salt.

Thanks again for the advice, switched to the blue bucket and my alk is much more managable after the first 10% water change. It's right around 10.5 now. :up:

i had the same problem using red sea.i switched to tropic marin and all my problems went away.it cost alot more but well worth it.

gacolt;1028535 wrote: i had the same problem using red sea.i switched to tropic marin and all my problems went away.it cost alot more but well worth it.

been hearing a lot of good things about tropic marin, but does it justify the cost? I picked up a bucket of red sea (blue) for $62 shipped.

It does for me.i pay 89.00 a bucket.so thats 27 more for the best salt and its shipped to my door.and i get the numbers i want from it and it mixes and ready in 5min.leaves no residue in my bucket so i dont have to clean after everytime i do a waterchange

Best choice for lower Alk tanks (8-9) like what I run is to use regular instant ocean and then manually buffer the calcium level up to where you keep it.

Back