thinking of a 125gal

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
im thinking of getting a 125 not sure if it will be a 4 foot or 6 foot tank lets just say im going over the 100gal mark and would like to see what you guys would put in it and if you would make it a reef or a fowlr so lets hear it come on guys dont be shy

I have yet to see a really pretty fowlr tank so I would say Reef, then again.. I wouldn't know where to look to find a pretty fowlr tank

I have a 125g reef tank. It's about 9 months old and so far happily stocked with the following:
1 Yellow Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Naso Tang
Mated pair of Blue Jaw Triggers
1 Niger Trigger (He may be gone soon)
1 Sand sifting goby
1 Lawnmower blenny
Mated pair of clowns
1 6-line wrasse

2 Brain corals
2 Torch corals
1 Hammer coral
1 Bird's nest coral
2 Monipora
1 Yellow leather
1 Daisy coral

30g sump full of macro algae, skimmer & about 130lbs of LR from Sal.

So far, everyone gets along. The Niger Trigger is nuts -- but my wife really likes him -- so unless he gets out of control -- he'll stay.

I did learn that having an odd number of Surgeonfish is best -- after adding the Naso Tang -- the posturing seemed to settled down.

Hope this helps.

-geno

We are moving next month and shortly after that settles down we are going with a 4' 120. Several reasons behind it. We have a large Sailfin Tang who knocks stuff over because our 75 is to full(nothing like going away for a day or two and finding a nice coral knocked over and fighting with another coral and seeing who loses). We also want the deep dimension of the 4' so we can have a bit more depth to the reef. After seeing several of the other members tanks that extra 6" makes alot of difference. Also the added height is nice to have to. While I have seen several that are stunning that are 55,75 gallons we just want the extra width and height. Now if you want some serious depth you can also go with a cube like Flying Army has. His is a 160 and is out of this world cool. Another reason is that we are currently running 2 250 MH's on our 75 and if we went with a five or six foot tank I think we might have to add another light to make up for the added length of the tank although I could be wrong about that.

Just my 2-cents -- but I would get the longest tank you can, i.e. 6 feet rather than 4 feet. Fish seem to swim side to side -- not so much up and down.

I had a 120 gallon and liked it a lot untill I got a 220 gallon. But I hope to get another 120 for my sea horses. I would also say to go with the longer tank. the fish do seem to be happier with those and it also helps with the lighting.

Back