Thinking of building a stand...Ipe!

cjsparky

Market
Reaction score
Hi all.

So when I bought my Oceanic 57 rimless, I got the stand manufactured for it. My issue with the stand is that it is MDF, and a few spills or slow leaks later, some of the edges are bubbled up, and the paint is flaked off. I also have limited space under the stand, and am considering raising the tank up 4-6 inches as well.

First, I would love to get some opinions on how much larger front to back, and side to side you can make a stand, so that it does still look like a stand customized for the tank, without looking rediculous. I want to increase the internal footprint, but I do not want to look like I am sticking a small tank on a huge stand...make sense?

Second, maybe more of a question for Grouper Therapy, but I was thinking of making the stand in Ipe. What are your thoughts on this? Will Ipe take a stain? Will it need marine poly or do I treat it similar to Teak? a light oil every now and then better?

Finally, I think most normal store bought stands are about 4-6 inches too low. I guess they are better suited to view from a seated position, but where my stand will be it is mostly viewed standing. Anyone have a good rule of thumb to not go above X height?

I am planning on reclaiming the smoked glass doors on the sides and front of the Oceanic Illuminata tank stand, so although the tank itself will be larger, the openings I am going to keep the same size, so please consider that increasing the size of the tank will need to consider both tank and door sizes.

Here is the stand now...I want the new stand to fit along that same wall, so I have about 4-6 inches on each side to work with. I am more interested on cabinet depth...how much of a front ledge would look natural?

332569cb.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks in advance for your insights, opinions, and suggestions!

CJ

<p style="text-align:left"><p style="text-align:left"><span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px"> </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">u can make it any size you want. You can go from the corner to the door jamb. You can round off the front corners. Do 3 to 4&#8221; in the front so you can put stuff on it. you can incorporate it in a desk or book case shelf </span></span>

60" stand - 24" tank.

Upgrading now to a 150 (5' long). But yeah, I built my stand huge to have space underneath and allow for an upgrade. We put other stuff on the top since installing it, but here's the orig pic.

09.jpg
alt="" />

Ipe is a great wood. You need to oil it. It is very hard so you must predrill and screw it and best if you plug it totally make the screws hidden

While Ipe is very resistant to rot, it will stain if you drop spots of water on it. It is plenty strong and should wear out a nice tablesaw blade for you. If that is the look you want, go for it. It is a very nice wood.

Personally, whenever I build a stand (or anything else for that matter), I take my tape measure to one that I already like and modify from there. Design is all about proper proportion.

RealFish;770244 wrote: While Ipe is very resistant to rot, it will stain if you drop spots of water on it...

RealFish,

If I keep it oiled will that prevent the staining? Or waxed? If I was to add a marine poly, then I dont need to go with Ipe...just go with a pretty grain...

CJ

Skip the ipe, that's for decks, you could make or have made a very nice stand with a quality finish with no issues. With a proper finish the wood of your choice will do.

Cjsparky;770253 wrote: RealFish,

If I keep it oiled will that prevent the staining? Or waxed? If I was to add a marine poly, then I dont need to go with Ipe...just go with a pretty grain...

CJ

It should work, but I wouldn't want to have to keep up with rubbing it with oil once or twice a year. I've never done it with Ipe, but I have finished Cherry with a combination of Linseed Oil, Tung Oil and Poly. The oils bring out the richness in the wood and the Poly more or less makes it permanent.

If you do decide to use the Ipe I strongly recommend the use of respirators and gloves. The dust can cause severe respiratory infections and dermatitis type rashes on some people's skin. I would consider a black walnut, Santos mahogany ,Eucalyptus, or brazilian cherry instead. You can then put a nice catalyzed no maintenance finish on it. A stand made from those types of woods deserves a Lacquer or conversion varnish finish ,furniture grade not boat deck grade IMO. download the free version of Sketchup and draw it out.

Back