Thinking of doing a diy led build

cj22009

Reaction score
Just as the title says I am thinking of doing a diy led build what colors and ratios would you guys recomend? I have a 60 cube 24x24x24 thanks in advance ?:roll:

the progressive thinking of LED is that in order to have long term success you're going to need more of a full spectrum build than a typical white / blue. I see a lot of the builds going on (on the "other" message board) with green / red/ purple / blue / white and so on.

I CAN tell you that by the time you purchase quality components and invest your time into a project like this that you won't be saving as much as you may think.

The last one I did cost around $500 (a year ago I think) and it was 24 Cree LEDs white and blue.

That being said.. it was a lot of fun to do, and I learned a lot from the experience.

B

Edit: heres the link to the build that I did.

Hope it helps you out :)

Good luck.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43366&highlight=tonight

Edit: Looking back I think the cost was closer to $400 when it was all done.

I did a diy upgrade in my 14g biocube. It was just a bit more expensive than replacing the PC bulbs...so heck yea! haha
I just did, 50/50 white and blue.

I only had one ballast, so control of blue and white separate is to be desired, and I opted to not have dimmable as the cost was significantly higher. I honestly wish I'd have done separate control over the blue and white, and had some sort of UV to make the colors pop, but I don't think I'd really use the dimmable, so that would have been money wasted.

Mine was only a 12 led setup, but all in all it only ran me like $50 and an hour of work. Worth every penny and drop of sweat.

SnowManSnow;807269 wrote: I CAN tell you that by the time you purchase quality components and invest your time into a project like this that you won't be saving as much as you may think.

The last one I did cost around $500 (a year ago I think) and it was 24 Cree LEDs white and blue.

That being said.. it was a lot of fun to do, and I learned a lot from the experience.

Edit: Looking back I think the cost was closer to $400 when it was all done.

I think with the increasing competition and knowledge, the components have gotten considerably cheaper than they used to be. I was looking at a similar setup to the one you had in the build thread, and I *think* it can put it all together for ~$250 if you do some shopping. I also think that the whole "3-up" thing people are trying to use now to eliminate the "disco effect" seems neat, but I'd like to see it in person over a tank.

Think you'll ever do another DIY LED build?

The cost isn't what is driving me I just think it would be a fun project to do. I went to school for electronics. Of course it has been almost 20 years but I am always tinkering and have a decent hot air soldering station

A DIY may run around the same but at least you can put the components into it that you want, not what someone else places into it. I used Ali Express and bought all my LED's through them. I use Bridgelux and they are very good, nice coloration and growth. Bought some computer fans from Micro Center along with the power supply. The drivers are from Steve's LED's.

Back