this is not a reef DIY

cwalt

Market
Reaction score
This is not a reef DIY but I guessed it would be more appreciated here in the DIY group that the lounge. Anyone want to start a build group on this ?

a>

Lots of colleges students have built similiar devices, only problem is his seems to be more accurate. Ours keeps hitting the side wall of teh internal barrel, in turns destroys a ton of the electromagnics. best test was 2000ish FPS ( 10 ft range) calibrated using a 3.000G ball bearing.

ares;393366 wrote: why does a rail gun make flame/sparks? doesnt it use magnets to accelerate the projectile?

Funny you mention this......

The two magnets that destroyed the glass on my nano cube were very strong. When I pried them off the broken glass, I didn't want them to attract while I was holding them, or worse yet, my son find them and play with them, so I just tossed them in the air and let them attract insuring I got to keep all my fingers.

The magnets attracted and actually arc'ed a pretty huge spark. I know the projectile was not magnitized, but prehaps at those speeds, sparks and flame is attained, depending on the material it struck.

Seems like I've seen a magnetic rail gun on futureweapons before.. Want to say it used EMP and was rather accurate up to like 20 miles and almost completly silent..

DrNecropolis;393528 wrote: Seems like I've seen a magnetic rail gun on futureweapons before.. Want to say it used EMP and was rather accurate up to like 20 miles and almost completly silent..

I saw that!

Isn't there also talk of using rail guns for launching satellites and stuff into orbit. Think a big circular track that can "spool up" for a week to get something to 17,500mph then switch to a ramp.

The one I saw on one of those weapons shows launched 5-8" long metal spikes that decimated tanks because they were hitting in at mach 3 or so.

I wonder if we could build one and make it lauch pumpkins, potatoes, or apples? maybe something else intresting haloween is coming up

yea i like the sound of that "railgun pumkin chunker" anyone got a backyard we can test it in LOL I'm sure the neighbors wont mind at all

Let's change the name to Atlanta Reef Club and Rail Gun Supply</em>

Back