This one makes me feel like a noob, but I'm stumped re: cycle

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
We set up my wife's cube a week ago last night... cured LR, new sand, and 10g of my tank water/20g new.

I added a silverside to decay and spike the ammonia to jumpstart the cycle.

I have as yet not seen any ammonia, on tests performed every day.

I have ALSO seen zero trite/trates.

I don't think I'm lucky enough to have had no cycle at all... and even if I did, wouldn't I show some nitrates?

How can I verify this? I've already double checked the test kit with my tank results, which naturally showed no ammonia or nitrite, but showed detectable nitrates.

Dump in a measureable amount of pure store bought ammonia and test to make sure it shows up on your kit. Then wait and test to see if it declines and if nitrite rises.

If the LR was fully cured and the 10gal from your system contained enough bacteria to prevent the ammonia spike - congrats - no cycle needed!

Well, I did think about the ammonia dump... but I made SEVEN stops on the way home and NO stores/pharmacies carry pure ammonia around here... every type I found has surfactants and/or perfumes/dyes.

Rob, I'd love to think that but my life has been a constant stream of fortune that should prove that statistically impossible! And answer your phone. :)

Shouldn't I have nitrates? How could I "force" the production of nitrates to find out? Feed the tank? I already "fed" it a small bit of Rod's food three days ago.

If you want nitrates, I have a perfect unwashed filtersock that has been in my sump too long. Dump that in the tank and the trates will be through the roof...
(I would answer my phone - if I hadn't left it at work.
Try tomorrow after 9am. LOL)

Working Saturday? Wow. I thought only us unskilled types did that.

I have a sponge that's been in my sump for two months... BRB

Not working - just getting it FROM work.
My overtime is too expensive LOL

Based on your SPS habit, your regular time is pretty expensive too!

Thanks Ansley. I appreciate it. I can always count on you for a confidence boost.

Dakota9;375920 wrote: Pee in it........

Please tell me nobody REALLY does that. I think Diet Coke would nuke a tank anyway.

Now, I DO have one thing that might work but I'm not doing it without someone brighter than me giving the all-clear. I have a cartridge of smelling salts... 60% pure ammonia, 40% alcohol. Safe or not safe?

I'll make up for that by not working so very long - so the company doesn't have to pay that much...

cr500_af;375929 wrote: Based on your SPS habit, your regular time is pretty expensive too!

Thanks Ansley. I appreciate it. I can always count on you for a confidence boost.

You know that's what I'm here for!!!

So, any idea on the ammonia/alcohol? OR is there a better way to find out what the status is?

Nitrates are "necessary". Live rock is porous, so the internal anaerobic part house bacteria to consume nitrates. So, its possible, that with good live rock, you are good to go. However, if it were me, I turn up the temp to the high 80s and give it a bit longer.

Thanks Jeremy. This rock has been in an operating system for nearly a month before I got it, and was in an operating system before moving to that one... I don't know how the bioload would make that much of a difference, but it spent the last month in a frag system which housed a six-line and a LMB. The corals were being fed, of course. It was in my water within ten minutes after coming out of the frag system.

I've had the temp around 82 all this time. Ans, you wanna test it? I'll deliver the H2O tomorrow evening...

Back