This Popular Aquarium Fish Might Vanish From the Wild

dasianguy

Market
Reaction score
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/09/wildlife-banggai-cardinalfish-trade-cites-protections/?google_editors_picks=true">http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/09/wildlife-banggai-cardinalfish-trade-cites-protections/?google_editors_picks=true</a>

I found this article about banggai cardinals. It's a shame captive breeding can't supply all the demand.

I read that the other night.
I find it is CRAZY that this is one of the most often bread fish in the trade and this is still an issue...
These stories... never know what political wind is in their sail.

B

SnowManSnow;1097336 wrote: I read that the other night.
I find it is CRAZY that this is one of the most often bread fish in the trade and this is still an issue...

B

Something happening behind the scenes (?); like some others things that are not for mention here at ARC. Maybe one could ask Mr. James Cook to come out of "captive breeding" retirement. James was very successful with the Bangai; especially successful with clowns. Much hard work required in "captive breeding". I salute "all" whom are involved with "captive breeding".

Wannabee

SnowManSnow;1097336 wrote: I read that the other night.

B

You are right, but many people still buy "wild caught" even though their mortality rate is high. I always try to encourage people to buy "captive bred".

Glad you(dasianguy) shared this article. It is good to be informed.

I don't think most people know which are which to be honest. The average marine aquarist simply walks into a pet shop and buys a fish he or she thinks looks cool.

I think another issue is that local stores need to pick which side of the fence they're on. Many can't or won't or mayn't source captive bred whenever possible as a preference because it drives their prices up above other competitor's both online and not.

Personally I'm always willing to pop extra for a healthier specimen, in most cases tank-raised being clearly better off for the (usually) shorter trip and acclimation to aquarium conditions. From a completely self-interested point of view; why save a few bucks only to have said new fish keel over from lingering capture or transport stress/injury?

The fact you titled this post with a click bait title annoys me more than the overfishing...

EnderG60;1097560 wrote: The fact you titled this post with a click bait title annoys me more than the overfishing...

Sorry, didn't mean to support the spread of click bait.. I just lazily copy/pasted.

Is there any way to change to title of the thread, maybe to something like this?

*&@^#!%- (the article formerly known as "This Popular Aquarium Fish Might Vanish From the Wild")

:tongue:

dasianguy;1097571 wrote: Sorry, didn't mean to support the spread of click bait.. I just lazily copy/pasted.

Is there any way to change to title of the thread, maybe to something like this?

*&@^#!%- (the article formerly known as "This Popular Aquarium Fish Might Vanish From the Wild")

:tongue:

lol We need a moderater on this, quick!

You guys are absolutely right. It is always a tough call for any store to choose what to carry. Some tank raised fish cost upwards of twice as much for us to order in as a wild caught specimen. And lets be honest, the majority of hobbyist can very brutal when it comes to price.

Unfortunately at this point it is impossible to survive in the retail world by only carrying captive bred fishes. Not only is the selection very limited the availability is extremely inconsistent. While at Premier we are very proud to say we carry as many captive bred fish as is feasibly possible, with the case of cardinals being such a popular fish we would never be able to supply the demand ordering in only captive bred specimens. Believe it or not, the captive bred cardinals are too inconsistent still with availability.

With that said it will be up to the stores and hobbyist together to keep the progress moving forward. The more emphasis we put on buying/selling captive bred specimens the more we will keep moving in the right direction. While everyone wants the best deal possible, I feel everyone needs to have a gut check next time there is a choice between a more expensive captive bred fish and the cheapest price possible via wild caught.

Exactly, it reminds me of the walmart debate.

Public - "Stop selling us cheap chinese made stuff"
Walmart - "Ok, but you will have to be willing to pay more for it"
Public - "Na"

Jakub and Ender nailed it.

I always preferred captive propagated fishes when possible, but often times the supply was inconsistent. Either the demand outran the available supply, or occasionally breeders have events or mishaps that curb the supply unexpectedly.

Banggais used to be bulletproof, even from the wild. Then in more recent years they die mysteriously, and while I haven't done any recent reading on the subject, "experts" couldn't seem to figure out or agree about why - whether it was bacterial or viral or whatever.

They have a very limited range, so it's very easy to fish them out beyond sustainability and because they are popular, demand is always high for them.

Jenn

I read up on breeding these after a pair that I have started mating. The male is still to young to hold the eggs to term.

When they're first hatched they need a lot of nutrition mainly from bbs. If not fed right at this stage their nervous system doesn't develop correct. They will be very skittish and most will eventually die as juveniles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I picked up some of these beautiful fish years ago from Sally (I'm sure Jenn remembers her) in ARC that was breeding them. I picked them up at a meeting when they were held at Steve's condo complex near I-285 and 400.

I bought 5 babies and raised 3 of them to adulthood. 2 of those 3 paired off and had several sets of offspring. Most perished in my mixed reef but I was able to save and raise 5 or 6 of them, usually by netting them out of my overflow. I had these captive raised cardinals for around 10 years and I believe they died of old age (they were huge and not breeding anymore).

Hard to believe these are still being harvested to extinction but for the reasons above, I understand why. Most people in this country are cheap by nature and only once they become rare in the wild and the cost of captive raised catches up, will we change. Makes me want to start a captive rearing program now that I rebooted my system....

Schwaggs;1097708 wrote: I picked up some of these beautiful fish years ago from Sally (I'm sure Jenn remembers her) in ARC that was breeding them. I picked them up at a meeting when they were held at Steve's condo complex near I-285 and 400.

I bought 5 babies and raised 3 of them to adulthood. 2 of those 3 paired off and had several sets of offspring. Most perished in my mixed reef but I was able to save and raise 5 or 6 of them, usually by netting them out of my overflow. I had these captive raised cardinals for around 10 years and I believe they died of old age (they were huge and not breeding anymore).

Hard to believe these are still being harvested to extinction but for the reasons above, I understand why. Most people in this country are cheap by nature and only once they become rare in the wild and the cost of captive raised catches up, will we change. Makes me want to start a captive rearing program now that I rebooted my system....

What's it gonna take to get you starting with "Captive Breeding"? I love to see an opportunity to see one to start up. I hated it when James Cook had to stop "Captive Breeding". I traveled 2 1/2 hours one way to his place a few times to choose some great fish. I salute you for considering the option of "captive breeding". Please know that its very time consuming and your electric bill will not be your friend.

Wannabee

Wannabee

Picked up a "pair" of Bangaii's at Rit's yesterday and by pair I mean 2 of them. :)

Made my best attempt at picking a male and a female but am no expert at sexing them and probably have a 50/50 shot at getting a maiting pair. They like hanging out together in my tank but that's not saying much at this point.

If you feed them pretty heavily it's a lot easier to sex them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Back