This tang is a real *Gem*

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
... and at http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=40221">$3499.99</a>, he's not costume jewelry.

[IMG]http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20080507210419/www.liveaquaria.com/images/diversden/approved/0425081-009.jpg alt="" />

Linda, you should add "Checking out ultra high-end livestock on LA" under your "Other Interests"!

Can't help it. This stuff just floors me. I keep thinking... wow, that's what I paid for my first car!

That would not work when his lifetime was over the warranty would run out!!:doh::tongue2:

Jason

This is a fish that likely wont be available for years again. It is collected from only one local at lonely Mauritus. You wait and see, someone will buy it. I laugh at people laughing at these prices. How much do horses cost? And several people on this forum own horses. Or pedigree dogs that costs hundreds to thousands. Etc etc etc. Dont be a hater.

jmaneyapanda;175741 wrote: This is a fish that likely wont be available for years again. It is collected from only one local at lonely Mauritus. You wait and see, someone will buy it. I laugh at people laughing at these prices. How much do horses cost? And several people on this forum own horses. Or pedigree dogs that costs hundreds to thousands. Etc etc etc. Dont be a hater.

Not laughing. I said on another thread that I'd buy both of those Clarions if I had that kind of budget and new more about keeping them. I know that fish are not just arbitrarily priced high; there has to be a particular reason for a particular fish to demand that high a price.

Linda Lee;175745 wrote: Not laughing. I said on another thread that I'd buy both of those Clarions if I had that kind of budget and new more about keeping them. I know that fish are not just arbitrarily priced high; there has to be a particular reason for a particular fish to demand that high a price.
I wasnt pointing any fingers or anything. I was just stating what I felt. I see posts on here about $50,000+ cars, expensive guns, giant flat screen TVs, in addition to the examples I posed previously. But when a fish is over $300, there seems to be a uniform cry of "That price is ridiculous! Who can afford that?!" Laughable.

I have an interetsing tidbit of info about this species I'll PM you.

Matt yes I fly, I just have to get the studding in for the oral and take the ride, got all requirements met...

Jason

sorry Don't want to hijack the thread... PM if you want Matt

emtguy;175799 wrote: i need to find out where these come from and get a divers class lined up ASAP!!! catch one a week and im SET!!!!!!

Set in Jail!

mikeup6;175874 wrote: Can't you share with all of us :) .

He just mentioned that someone we both know from Reef Central has a couple of these beauties. I know the gentleman only from talking to him briefly when he was a speaker at a meeting, but Jeremy knows him as a personal acquaintance.

I'm envious, both of the guy's beautiful fish and Jeremy's friendship with such a knowledgeable reefer. If I knew this guy personally, I'd be on the phone with him 24/7 asking "okay, what do I do now...."

;)

Sorry, but I do think it's silly to pay that much for a fish. Unless he changes water, what is the increased value vs. other fish that are $300? Because he's really rare? Does he do special tricks that entertain someone more than a black tang without spots?

And that would go for a TV that is priced much higher than comparable TVs. IF someone were to pay $3000 for a TV that is similar for $1000, I'd laugh at them also.

Horses and dogs are definitely different than a Tang. Expensive horses and dogs are breed and at least make some sort of return on the cost. Nobody would pay excessive amounts on a horse or dog that could not be breed.

At least expensive art pieces won't die.

That being said, I've got some rare wine if someone want to buy some. It's comparable to a $50 bottle of wine...it's limited edition so I'll sell for $500 a bottle. (Not really because it's not legal for me to sell booze.)

But that's just me...middle income guy. If I had tons of money, maybe.

LorenK;175906 wrote:
Horses and dogs are definitely different than a Tang. Expensive horses and dogs are breed and at least make some sort of return on the cost. Nobody would pay excessive amounts on a horse or dog that could not be breed.

Dude, we will have to sit down and talk. Seriously. Are you telling me the only reason to spend money is to make money in the end? If so, you are in the wrong hobby my friend.

This tang is rarely collected and rarely available for sale. So it costs more. I'm not saying you or I should buy this fish, but for many people, that is a suitable expenditure for they pleasure. You get more out of a $500 bottle of wine than a $50. I dont. Does that mean you're silly for spending the money? Of course not, because YOU get a personal benefit from it. Someone will get a perosnal benefit from buying this fish.

Nonetheless, my point was more along the lines of people screaming about how "poor" they are, and how much money this fish is, and in the next breath, carrying on about the car, or stereo, or whatever they just bought for a comparatively similar amount of money. If I hear, "hey I like the looks, but I'll buy a Marine Betta for $70, and save a bundle", I'll say huzzah, and pat them on the back. Compared to other fish, it is expensive. Compared to other expenditures in life, it is not.

Just my opinion. I'll crawl back to my hole.

Back