Thoughts on AE300

jaandgc

Market
Reaction score
I currently run a 240 gal. sps tank, 30gal fug, 35gal sump, and about to be a 93gal lps/softy tank. Combined that brings the total volume to right at 400 gallons. As of now I have a lifereef vs48 with a 2' extension, using 2 mazzi injectors. I would like to add a NW skimmer as a 2nd skimmer. I know it has been said not to do this but... The reason for this post is I have been reading up on skimmers and the NW skimmer followers are all over the place in terms of opinions. I like the AE 300 and should have room for it, but I would like to know how good the pumps are. Not in making bubbles but in reliability. For those who will say xxx skimmer is better I don't want to spend much over 400 dollars (2nd skimmer remember) and I don't want do any modding, with my luck I'll break all 3 pumps and have to buy more. So are there any thoughts on this.
Jerry

On ReefCentral it is hard to find anything but good things on this skimmer. It is a monster though. The pumps are GenX rip offs and they work well, but apparently don't mod well. From reviews I have read, the NWs have better pumps.

Octopus skimmers are a NW moniker denoting NeedleWheel models. The Octopus use the Halia gen 3 pump which is basically an Ocean Runner. To date they mod with greater success.

Back