Thoughts on DIY 6' tank?

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that I want a 6' display tank for the living room. I did just sell a 220 that I had, but it was to heavy IMHO to put above the basement. I'm looking at getting or building a 72"x24"x20".

Perhaps the 24" width is unnessicary because the tank will only be viewed from the front?

I would like to use 1/2" acrylic material, your thoughts?

Since this is a larger tank, would it be better for me to just order it prebuilt? I love the aspect of DIY, satisfaction of looking at something knowing I made it etc, but honestly I've never really done much with acrylic (built a small sump and a skimmer years ago).

GC has a 72x24x17 acrylic for $360.....but I've heard horror stories. Then again, it is about 100$ CHEAPER than I can buy the material for...

Thoughts?

Well, unless GC uses cast, I'm comparing apples to oranges in the material department.

Personally, I think the larger width gives you a lot of latitude in aquascaping, I like deeper tanks. I wish I had enough space to, I would have love to have another 6" to a foot in mine. If weight is a concern go with a cube and make it three sides viewable or all fourside viewable, with center drain... It will be awesome....

Bah, my materials quote just doubled....the type I was quoted for has been recommended by some experienced professionals to NOT use....

GC has a 120 (72x24x17) for $315 in glass, $459 in 3 sided starfire.....

if you really wanted to go DIY , you could make a plywood tank with a glass or acrylic front. There are quite a few threads about them on Reef central. People use fiber glass to cover the wood.

Back