Thoughts on feeding?

typemismatch

Market
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what is a good amount to feed my fish but it's such a subjective field :)

I used to feed based on the belief a tiny bit of flake etc will do but on this round of tanks which started off with planted fresh water I decided, fish need food and fed a few times a day, fish seem happier than ever.

So onto frozen food and those little cubes. I feed half a cube every other day, pumps off during feeding but even just half a cube (might be blood worms/brine shrimp etc) seems like a ton of food. Outside of that I feed flakes morning and night + seaweed.

Those cubes just seem like so much food. Ok so here is what I'm feeding:

~15 hermit crabs
1 Goby
4 Fish "tang size"
6 Fish "clown/damsel size"
2 Shrimp/Cleaner size
25 Snails
Lots of soft corals + small clams/scallops

The tank seems happy (outside my recent cyano/dino/whatever bloom) - is this right?

Thanks!

Not an expert by any means.... But... I take frozen cubes and cut them into quarters. I then put the pieces in a ziplock bag and return them to the freezer. When ready to feed, I grab a chunk and put it in a plastic cup with a garlic additive. After a few minutes, I grab some food with tweezers and add it to the tank. I feed pellets in addition when I notice any aggression. A full stomach appears to make fish sleepy and lethargic too!

You have way more fish than me, 3 vs 11, I would say you are about right. However you haven't quantified the amount of flake food you add. I think the general rule is that there should be enough food to float around for a minute or so. Then the food should be consumed and gone.

But! To each his own. The best way to know is by paying attention to the fish and watching your algae producing parameters.

When it comes to feeding, I don't hold back. I feed 3 times a day.
The way I can tell its not enough or to much. I look at my fish, if they look like hogs (fat) They are good. If I'm not having a problem with algae or phosphates, ect. Then I keep on feeding. After all, who don't like eating.

Cool thanks - for the flakes I feed a punch at a time which gets consumed almost immediately and if so I give them another pinch. Tank params remain good so yeah, shooting for fat + happy :)

Back