Thoughts on reducing overflow pipe size

reeferboy83

Market
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up my 120 rimless GC tank. What are your thoughts on reducing my overflow piping to the sump from 1 1/2" down to an 1" pipe? Would there be any obvious reasons not to do this other than reducing flow? The return pipe to the tank is 1" from the factory.

reeferboy83;967521 wrote: I am in the process of setting up my 120 rimless GC tank. What are your thoughts on reducing my overflow piping to the sump from 1 1/2" down to an 1" pipe? Would there be any obvious reasons not to do this other than reducing flow? The return pipe to the tank is 1" from the factory.

I believe the most flow per hour from a 1" overflow opening as about 600 gph. That is more than enough for a 120, IMO.

But, a 1.5" overflow pipe is some nice insurance in case the pipe gets partially blocked, like if a snail or something gets in there. It could save you from a flood.

I would keep it, if it came that way, but you could do it if you wanted.

My question would be *why*?

If your concern is it draining 'too fast' - it can't drain any faster than it's being replenished.

It can, however, drain too slowly if there's more flow than the drain can handle.

And, you always want the drain to be wider than the return.

Jenn

Bigger (ie wider) is always better when it comes to drains.

Back