Thoughts on the Red Sea Reefer?

mrstbonne

Reaction score
I’m decently new at saltwater aquariums. That said I’m willing to learn everything I can. I’m looking to buy a larger over 90 gallons new or used fully running system and keep running into Red Sea in the shops. I’d love to find something that’s either easy to build and run or ready to plug and go. I then am hoping to find a person or company to help for the first few months getting started and teaching even more.

So red seas yay or nay and if nay what aquarium.

Where to start with the best info.

Other then hands on experience what has helped you the Most!

Red Sea Is great. I just set one up and it is running great. They produce high quality aquariums and make it pretty simple to get a good tank going.

If you were to go your own route, you could probably build something comparable for cheaper, but you need to think out the tank layout, drains, sump design, etc. Both routes can produce excellent tanks.

It was great meeting both if you at the bbq.  Great advice from Fishy.  Some love DIY systems and others prefer a self contained system.  Ive heard great things about the Red Sea tanks and they will simplify the learning process we all go through.  Best advice I got when I started in the hobby was to take my time and test often and keep your system as stable as possible with your Salinity, Temp, Nitrates, Phosphates, Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium.  We all go through roadblocks and make mistakes if you stay and with it this is an incredibly rewarding hobby.

Your always welcome to drop by and see my setup, It may give you some ideas that will work for you.  @godawgs24 Ben is doing a Red Sea build right now if you want to reach out to him.

We loved meeting everyone. I currently have small saltwater tanks but having others in the hobby has been one of the best parts. I'd definitely love to see some builds learn my options and what I could possibly handle haha.

Likewise if you are near Smyrna, feel free to come see my red Sea tank. Also posted some "build" pictures if you look through my post history. Although it's mostly cleaning the tank and filling it. Pretty easy with red Sea :)

I found one on craigslist that I'm trying pretty hard to grab haha. I just have to leave town this week so it's hard to get to. I'm liking how easy they sound.

I love my new Red Sea setup, 525xl. About to start moving corals over the next few weeks or so from my 65 gallon reef. Tank is a beast, super thick glass. Runs as quiet as a mouse as well. 
Tf4nxrjx7chzalwt3n3ldc22mmdmjwax1.jpg
alt="40C20F6A-CB2A-406B-B989-0E57C6F23C57" />

I just helped a member move a RS 750xxl. It was a beast of a tank that I though was quite well put together. The stand was very well built too. They are expensive, and not for me, but the quality level is very high.

I have an in-wall setup. If I were to do a standalone tank I wouldn't hesitate to look for a used one of these.

I have the 525xl and love it.  Though i did mod the sump to make it work with Triton recently.

I have a reefer 525XL and love it. Clean looking tank and everything is well designed. 
Trtp48w6fbugqcw191mglwr04j1ksi06z.jpg
alt="20180604_205553" />
Tym09l088ajhzhrr6fwsuxgamur9ipffe.jpg
alt="20180716_203843" />
Tlui8qo9bvqehhd9ujkg0aa92lsabo0l0.jpg
alt="20180604_205619" />

Back